Windows vista or xp the final answer please

loopylulu1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hello,

I have a compaw SR2030nx which is not an extremely fast gaming processor, athlon 64 3.4Ghz. 2 gigs of ram, radeon HD4850. on xp it runs all games new and old at max 1680x1050 with the bells and whistles.

I just bought a new western digital eads green 1.5TB harddrive which unfortunately is not very compatible with xp, you can realign using a software program which I could do. My question is please answer once and for all, obviously xp is best for games, but would I lose a lot of I upgraded to vista or windows 7? I can only read so many forums about which is better xp or vista or 7. I know xp is the best but how much performance would I actually lose. If it is just a little and I can still run my games at max then no worries.

please help me decide as this new hard drive runs better in vista or windows 7.

gwb56

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
aford10, you're correct on that one, but Vista seems to have more of a future than XP. What I should of said is most newer games will be running on DirectX10 and soon 11. Two/three years down the line one will not be able to play the newer games on the old XP system having DirectX9c. Sorry for the wording...cheers