amc

I'm running XP Home with an Nvidia Geforce FX5700LE graphics card. Systen
has been stable for minths until now. Display intermittently goes blank
and then back on. Also when opening the menues from the Start button I
occassionally get blank bits of the screen and it eventually freezes. I've
noticed when the moise pointer is in a white background I can see a feint
square outline around the mouse pointer.

I've scanned for viruses and cleared all spyware, reinstalled the vidoe
drivers but still same problem. If I start in Safe Mode there are no
problems.

I'm guessing its a dispay issue, but frankly stuck.

Thanks
Andrew

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

Do you have an svga cable extension on your monitor? I had one on my LCD
(was having similar problems) and when I took it off the problem went away.
Also you should mention what brand/type of display you have.

"AMC" <mccaba@REMOVEntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Home with an Nvidia Geforce FX5700LE graphics card. Systen
> has been stable for minths until now. Display intermittently goes blank
> and then back on. Also when opening the menues from the Start button I
> occassionally get blank bits of the screen and it eventually freezes.
> I've noticed when the moise pointer is in a white background I can see a
> feint square outline around the mouse pointer.
>
> I've scanned for viruses and cleared all spyware, reinstalled the vidoe
> drivers but still same problem. If I start in Safe Mode there are no
> problems.
>
> I'm guessing its a dispay issue, but frankly stuck.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

I recently installed a nvidia GeForce FX5500 oc pci card and have had no
problems so far. .(256MB DDR).

Jim McNulty

"AMC" <mccaba@REMOVEntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Home with an Nvidia Geforce FX5700LE graphics card. Systen
> has been stable for minths until now. Display intermittently goes blank
> and then back on. Also when opening the menues from the Start button I
> occassionally get blank bits of the screen and it eventually freezes.
> I've noticed when the moise pointer is in a white background I can see a
> feint square outline around the mouse pointer.
>
> I've scanned for viruses and cleared all spyware, reinstalled the vidoe
> drivers but still same problem. If I start in Safe Mode there are no
> problems.
>
> I'm guessing its a dispay issue, but frankly stuck.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

Malke

James McNulty wrote:

> I recently installed a nvidia GeForce FX5500 oc pci card and have had
> no problems so far. .(256MB DDR).
>
> Jim McNulty
>

> "AMC" <mccaba@REMOVEntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running XP Home with an Nvidia Geforce FX5700LE graphics card.
>> Systen
>> has been stable for minths until now. Display intermittently goes
>> blank
>> and then back on. Also when opening the menues from the Start button
>> I occassionally get blank bits of the screen and it eventually
>> freezes. I've noticed when the moise pointer is in a white background
>> I can see a feint square outline around the mouse pointer.
>>
>> I've scanned for viruses and cleared all spyware, reinstalled the
>> vidoe
>> drivers but still same problem. If I start in Safe Mode there are no
>> problems.
>>
>> I'm guessing its a dispay issue, but frankly stuck.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andrew

Things to try, doing one thing at a time and testing after each change:

1. Open the computer case and run it open. Observe all fans,
particularly the one on the video card (if it has one). If the fan is
not running or is not running smoothly, replace the video card.

2. With the computer unplugged, open the computer and reseat the video
card. Make sure that if the video card requires extra power you have
attached a power supply connector and that it is snug.

3. If none of the above works, swap out the card for a known-working
one. If the problems go away, your original video card is bad and
should be replaced.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers