New build - feedback wanted

Knecht

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
In a few days I'll be ordering parts to build a new system (replacing a 4-year-old Barton system). I'll be doing some moderate gaming - WoW, CoD2, Medieval II Total War, etc. I don't expect this rig to run Oblivion or upcoming games with maximum eye candy, but I do want it to be as powerful as possible for $900 - $1000. I don't have a firm budget ceiling but I'm looking for maximum value for money.

A few questions before I list the parts:
1. Will current LGA775 motherboards be compatible with Penryn? As best I understand they will be, and I was hoping to upgrade the processor sometime next year.
2. I know it's hypothetical, but assuming the answer to #1 is yes, please comment on whether you think the PSU I've selected will likely be sufficient to power next-year's graphics cards (I will never be using SLI or Crossfire) and a Penryn processor.

Monitor:
ViewEra V202D-B 20.1" LCD, $180 after rebate

Case:
Cooler Master Centurion 5, $50

Power Supply:
OCZ StealthXStream 600W, $85 after rebate

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (hopefully I get rev 3.3?), $120

Processor:
Core 2 Duo E4300 (I plan to up the FSB to 400 and hopefully OC to around 3ghz), $117

CPU HSF:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with Arctic Silver 5, $40

RAM:
2GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, $70 after rebate

Graphics card:
BFG 7950GT 256MB, $140 after rebate and twenty dollar combo discount with the Crucial RAM

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 320MB 7200RPM SATA, $75 (also plan to use a 60GB IDE HDD from my old computer)

CD/DVD combo drive:
Sony NEC Optiarc DVD burner, $31

** Total cost: $910 ** (all parts from Newegg)

I will either use the onboard sound on my mobo or an old Soundblaster card that I have already. Speakers, keyboard, and mouse from my old rig. Any feedback or comments would be much appreciated.

Knecht

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Thanks for the response. Is it absolutely necessary to have a board with the P35 chipset for Penryn support? I was under the impression that the P965 could also support quad core processors, including Penryn, and since the board you linked doesn't support DDR3, I'm not sure I see the advantage it has over the 965P-DS3, as you can reach 1333mhz FSB and higher using BIOS...

Anyone else?