Boot up

June 18, 2005 7:37:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
don't know why
Thanks for any help
Bruce

More about : boot

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:29:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Sounds like hardware failure. Check your mobo manual.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Me2Ewe" wrote:
| When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
| Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
| Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
| Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
| don't know why
| Thanks for any help
| Bruce

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:58:47 PM

Me2Ewe wrote:
> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
> don't know why
> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Either disconnect or replace the defective floppy drive, or simply
disable the device in the computer's BIOS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Related resources
June 18, 2005 10:40:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If your floppy disk is no good you can go into set up (cmos) and disable
it.Alternately you can also open the case and disconnect it as well. I know
this doesn't solve the problem but if you want the error message to go away
or don't care about your floppy drive....................

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
> don't know why
> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:40:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

The floppy 3 setting in MOS is disabled but the floppy drive itself works
fine, its just that F1 to start that pisses me off
"QT" <Vc@cong.net> wrote in message
> If your floppy disk is no good you can go into set up (cmos) and disable
> it.Alternately you can also open the case and disconnect it as well. I
> know
> this doesn't solve the problem but if you want the error message to go
> away
> or don't care about your floppy drive....................
>
> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
>> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
>> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
>> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
>> don't know why
>> Thanks for any help
>> Bruce

June 18, 2005 11:52:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thats why your getting the f1 prompt. If you disable it in the cmos and
still have it comnnected to the motherboard, it will prompt you.

> The floppy 3 setting in MOS is disabled but the floppy drive itself works
> fine, its just that F1 to start that pisses me off
> "QT" <Vc@cong.net> wrote in message
>> If your floppy disk is no good you can go into set up (cmos) and disable
>> it.Alternately you can also open the case and disconnect it as well. I
>> know
>> this doesn't solve the problem but if you want the error message to go
>> away
>> or don't care about your floppy drive....................
>>
>> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
>>> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
>>> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
>>> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
>>> don't know why
>>> Thanks for any help
>>> Bruce

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:57:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

The error message tells you "exactly" what the problem is. What do you think
you should do about it; replace the floppy drive? How about the cables?
Maybe a bad floppy port on the M/B!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
> don't know why
> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 6:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I think we are mistaken about something, the floppy drive has always worked.
In the CMOS there is a setting to enable floppy 3 and it is disabled, but
found out it has nothing to do with anything. The cables are hooked up
properly too.
Thanks

> The error message tells you "exactly" what the problem is. What do you
> think
> you should do about it; replace the floppy drive? How about the cables?
> Maybe a bad floppy port on the M/B!
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
>> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
>> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
>> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
>> don't know why
>> Thanks for any help
>> Bruce

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:46:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Bruce.
If the term "floppy 3" that you mentioned is in reality the "floppy 3 mode
support" you are looking at the wrong setting (as you found out).
You will have to dig a little deeper into your CMOS settings.
As an example: my Phoenix/Award BIOS has the setting to disable the floppy
in "Integrated Peripherals-->Super I/O Dev-->Onboard FDC Controller.
In your Bios it might be in a different section.
Also you may have to eliminate the floppy as a boot device, from the boot
priority list.
But before you do all that, check to make sure that the cables are seated
properly in the floppy and MoBo, you might also try to re-seat them a couple
of times, just in case this is due to dirty contacts.
HTH
JerryR

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o eR3QvKdFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I think we are mistaken about something, the floppy drive has always
>worked.
> In the CMOS there is a setting to enable floppy 3 and it is disabled, but
> found out it has nothing to do with anything. The cables are hooked up
> properly too.
> Thanks

>> The error message tells you "exactly" what the problem is. What do you
>> think
>> you should do about it; replace the floppy drive? How about the cables?
>> Maybe a bad floppy port on the M/B!
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban

>> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
>>> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
>>> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
>>> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
>>> don't know why
>>> Thanks for any help
>>> Bruce

June 19, 2005 10:46:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Faulty or disconneted floppy drive.....

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
> don't know why
> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

June 20, 2005 12:27:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have similar? problem.
On boot-up, I get the message -
NTLDR is Missing

"err 5 : error finding v floppy.sys
err8 : fake floppy driver not found" message appears,

This has me completely confused, for if I F8 at startup & select my Sata OS
drive from the drop-down menu, it boots fine and the floppy drive works as
normal.
What the hell is it looking for & how do I rectify it?

--
johnf

> Faulty or disconneted floppy drive.....
>
> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
>> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
>> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
>> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
>> don't know why
>> Thanks for any help
>> Bruce
June 20, 2005 12:27:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Don't hijack another persons thread. It pisses some people off and yor
problem will get lost in the shuffle. Post your problem on it's own.

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:o NQtxlLdFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I have similar? problem.
> On boot-up, I get the message -
> NTLDR is Missing
>
> "err 5 : error finding v floppy.sys
> err8 : fake floppy driver not found" message appears,
>

> This has me completely confused, for if I F8 at startup & select my Sata
> OS drive from the drop-down menu, it boots fine and the floppy drive works
> as normal.
> What the hell is it looking for & how do I rectify it?
>

> --
> johnf
>
>> Faulty or disconneted floppy drive.....
>>
>> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When I boot up my computer I get a message that says:
>>> Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)
>>> Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
>>> Any idea how to get rid of this because it comes up every day now and I
>>> don't know why
>>> Thanks for any help
>>> Bruce

June 20, 2005 12:56:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Sorry,
I had posted it previously without any helpful response, & re-posted here
because this thread was getting good responses, so I thought it would have
more chance to be read by OP who are interested & knowledgeable in boot-up
probs.

--
johnf

> Don't hijack another persons thread. It pisses some people off and yor
> problem will get lost in the shuffle. Post your problem on it's own.
>

> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:o NQtxlLdFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I have similar? problem.
>> On boot-up, I get the message -
>> NTLDR is Missing
>>
>> "err 5 : error finding v floppy.sys
>> err8 : fake floppy driver not found" message appears,
>>

>> This has me completely confused, for if I F8 at startup & select my
>> Sata OS drive from the drop-down menu, it boots fine and the floppy
>> drive works as normal.
>> What the hell is it looking for & how do I rectify it?
>>

>> --
>> johnf
>>
>>> Faulty or disconneted floppy drive.....
>>>
>>> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
June 20, 2005 12:56:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

No problem. It's all about getting problems fixed

!