How many of us buy parts from EBAY?

Do you buy your hardware from Ebay or auctions?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Sometimes/Rarely

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • No Way!!!

Votes: 33 30.6%

• Total voters

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
negative, I go newegg.com & sometimes frys.com. I'm into gaming and require nice new parts. Could be deals and steals out there, I just haven't tried.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Ebay parts have ahrdly no warrenty arent much cheaper than actual sties like newegg and ebuyer theres a chance of being scammed and the actual pre-built computers on ebay are complete ripoffs.

Example, some of them shove 4gig fo ram into their products, except ti wont even work in XP and its the worst quality ram you can ever buy.

fantastapotamus

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I occasionally buy from eBay, you just have to use a little common sense and read the ENTIRE listing. If it says the part is as is, assume that it doesn't work right. A lot of reputable sellers will give you a DOA warranty at least, but I wouldn't buy fragile things like hard drives which are very easy to damage in shipping.

Captain_Soviet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I very rarely do it, but sometimes, you can find a real steal. I was looking for a 7600GT in Canada, and the cheapest I could find it anywhere was $128 after a $25 rebate, which I wasn't likely to see. After that, the cheapest non-rebate price was $136. So I went out on Ebay and found a brand new EVGA 7600GT in British Columbia for $120 including shipping. I read the feedback the user had, seemed good enough and so I got it. If you factor taxes into the equation, I definitely saved at least 20 bucks. Buying stuff on Ebay can be a bit of a gamble if you don't pay attention, but if you take care of stuff, you can get a good deal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A few years ago when people were still trying to upgrade outdated Pentium III machines, Compgeeks was selling the not-too-common PIII 1000E (100MHz bus) Slot-1 processor for $100. Ebay sellers were buying them and selling them on Ebay for $200.

I tried that, but one Ebay member with a wad of cash bought out Compgeek's entire inventory before I could get an order in.

Compgeeks got another batch, and the same thing happened.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I have purchased on eBay and am extemely happy with results.

I purchased a new Dell 8400 computer with a Dell warranty that sold for about 30% less than I would have paid Dell directly. About 6 years ago I purchased a new HP LaserJet 6P printer for about 40% less than retail, and still use it - no problems. I later purchased additional memory for it, also from eBay.

As for parts, I have purchased about 6 sticks of memory - some of it used - all for about 50% of the new retail price. I purchased a new BFG 6600 GT video card that I did have some problems with. but BFG honored the warranty and replaced it with a new card. I have also purchased other items including tape drives, tapes, and an Audigy soundblaster card.

I would estimate my lifetime savings from purchasing computers and accessories on eBay to be approaching $1,000.

I always take care to buy from dealers with high feedback ratings and occassionally review the actual feedback comments and transactions. I have done over 400 transactions on eBay (most not for computer related items) and have only been been burned twice - both times PayPal refunded most of my payment.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You mean people are stupid enought to buy parts from ebay? 8O

That's easy when you live in the US and have US issued credit cards, but for people living abroad like me, ebay could be the answer sometimes. Of course, you need to buy from reputable sellers with excellent feedback record, and with Paypal insurance. If I find the same item in a online store (like fry's) for almost the same price, then I prefer the store. But there is a lot of times that ebay is the only way (newegg doesn't accept international cards).

4745454b

Titan
I have bought things off of ebay before, but I have some strict rules. First, the seller MUST have 99% feedback or better. If he has 10000+ feedback, I'm willing to let it slide to 98%, but it must be very high. Second, he must offer some sort of DOA warrenty. I prefer 30days, but I'm willing to accept 14days. Third, although not a requirement, I look first for the "buy it now" auctions, as this is more like a store then Joe Blow. If your dealing with a store, your odds of getting good stuff go up quite a bit.

I had bought some stuff off of ebay before I had these rules and got burned. I still have no idea if its the motherboard or both Socket A CPUs that are bad. Those were my first three ebay purchases. After my third purchase is when I developed my rules and I haven't had any problems since. I have bought a 120GB harddrive (still good) and two video cards. (one died due to my gross stupidity.) The first video card was a steal. About two years ago I bought an AIW 9600 pro off of ebay for ~$70. It came with EVERYTHING. Remote, software, card, cables/dongles, everything. I didn't even realise what it was when I bought it, I just knew it was a 9600pro for <$75. I didn't even know what I bought until I was looking at the emailed package list. BTW, although I broke the card, the remote still works and is attached to my current computer. (Its a series one remote wonder.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I got ripped off twice on eBay, a source I only used for selling "anything" and buying those few things I couldn't find elsewhere.

Both times I got ripped off, it was by sellers. Ebay has more ways to block you from receiving compensation than they do ways to compensate you.

Edit: Before any of you talk about ways NOT to get ripped off by sellers, don't bother. One of the sellers who ripped me off spent three years building his reputation as a "power seller" with a 99.8% positive rating and thousands of sales. His last month of sales he delivered nothing and fled with over 100,000 dollars from all those sales.

marker51

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
I very rarely do it, but sometimes, you can find a real steal. I was looking for a 7600GT in Canada, and the cheapest I could find it anywhere was $128 after a $25 rebate, which I wasn't likely to see. After that, the cheapest non-rebate price was $136. So I went out on Ebay and found a brand new EVGA 7600GT in British Columbia for $120 including shipping. I read the feedback the user had, seemed good enough and so I got it. If you factor taxes into the equation, I definitely saved at least 20 bucks. Buying stuff on Ebay can be a bit of a gamble if you don't pay attention, but if you take care of stuff, you can get a good deal.

So if it dies on you how are you going to get replaced through EVGA? You dont have a retail reciept!

You don't need a retail receipt. I just bought a brand new sealed 7600 GS for $57 off ebay with the upc removed from the box. I was still able to register the product to recieve the lifetime warranty and I'm eligible for the step up program. They even list ebay as a store location.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
No I usually don't, but I do not have anything against either. I usually just do better through vendors as I try to plan my purchases and leverage rebates. Between that, and usually free shipping, it basically equals out given some of the crazy shipping fees people charge on EBay. Now that being said, I have bought cables and such from EBay....

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I prefer to buy new, but I will buy off eBay if I can follow a few rules:
1. Seller must have high reputation of around 98.5-100%
2. Seller should preferably have a high volume of sales or be able to demonstrate good care.
3. I require having some kind of warranty for DOA's.
4. I can shave good $$ off of a new price.

This got me a set of X-fired X1900's for $450 from an enthusiast who was going up for 8800's last Nov. I sold one for $250 and run the crossfire card at XTX speeds... all while saving about $200 over what a new X19x0 or 8800GTS would have cost. It was well worth it. They were professionally shipped with all of the original equipment and boxes.

I also got 3 WD 250GB enterprise hard drives brand new in packaging for about $45 each. 100% seller rating, DOA guarantee. When I got them, they were professionally shipped and even came with a parcel box for returns if any were dead.

eBay is worth it if you're poor or can find those diamonds in the rough. :D

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
If you're buying the latest and greatest newly released hardware then you won't find anything cheaper on eBay than from any of the major on-line E-tailers.

If you will settle from something that is not the most technologically up-to-date but still more than good enough for most things then you can find some very good deals - just make sure whoever you buy from has a return policy in the event that it is duff - or make sure you get what you want so cheap that if it doesn turn out to be duff you're not out of pocket a whole whack load of cash

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Both times I got ripped off, it was by sellers. Ebay has more ways to block you from receiving compensation than they do ways to compensate you.

Ebay does have loads of problems. They tend to protect the seller far more effectively than the buyer, but that's probably the seller is their source of direct income. I look forward to the day that ebay is dethroned.

On the other hand, I've found some incredible deals there and have also sold quite a bit of stuff without ever ripping off a buyer.

marlborosmoker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Non crucial electrical components like the case, fans, external HDD case yeah. But my problem with ebay is most manufacturers requre a product to be sold by an authorised reseller if you ever want to use your warranty. I don't trust a lot of ebay people saying they're an authorised reseller. Here in Aus, Bricks and Mortar store have an Australian Business Number which gives you some protection with the Consumer Complaints Tribunal from what I understand. I've also found a place in Sydney which is about 10-20% cheaper than ebay (including shipping)

The most expensive thing bought computer wise was an iomega 80 gig 2.5' external HDD for my laptop. It was just so ridculously priced that I couldn't pass it up at the time($120Retail, $40 on ebay).

EricLegge

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I recently bought a motherboard/processor/memory package that would have cost twice as much new. It is working flawlessly. People who upgrade their systems often almost give away what they no longer need.

But the best bargains I've found are for software.

I got Windows XP Pro for half the retail price, and Dreamweaver MX 2004 for £80 when it cost over £300 when it was the current version. You can't buy it new from stores, but one guy was selling it new with registration code, etc., without reserve. There is no need to buy the latest software to get a very usable product. Dreamweaver 8 costs £350+, but I can do everything I need to do with Dreamweaver MX.

I've bought laptop hard drives and laptop batteries from eBay, and I also bought some used 80GB WD hard drives just to get the circuit board off them to fix another older-revision drive.
I don't think I'd buy a video card, RAM, or anything easily killed by abuse, but the things I have bought there have worked well.

Add cellphone batteries, lithium coin cells, and software to the list. I used to buy printer ink there, but I'm not sure I'll do that again; the quality seemed questionable.

Nothing wrong with getting used/new parts from Ebay. Not really all that different from buying OEM or at a computer show. Just use common sense, read the description, check out the seller feedback ratings, and pay with Paypal or a credit card.

I've built whole machines on the cheap for friends and family from parts off Ebay. You can snag last gen parts for much cheaper than retail. If it works, why pay more for a pretty retail box you end up throwing away?

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd never ever do that.

A friend of mine recently bought a MB over ebay (against my protests...) and it had coffee spillt all over it. This seller even tried to clean it up a little. I guess it's not always that obvious, but you really have to consider being ripped off...

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I haven't bought anything from Ebay. I was looking for a decent used graphic card something like the 1800 XT but the price asked for those is completely ridiculous. It was the equivalent of a brand new 1950 XT. It's either that some people are seriously cut off from reality (Computer parts have an extremely high devaluation) or they are out fishing for some newbies that know squat about computer parts. I mean come on, a card that is 1.5 to 2 years old, you're lucky if you can get half the price you paid for when it was new...... :roll:

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I do not use Ebay. Only one bad transaction can wipeout a handfull of good ones and the warranties are not the same as reputable online shops (ex: Newegg). All the ads usually say "as is" which absolves the sellers of any liabiity. For items as sensitive as PC hardware the short answer for me is NO!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
This is my view on eBay.

You may be ripped off.
You may get a good deal.
Do your best to not get ripped off.

While I generally don't buy PC parts off eBay, I have purchased used networking equipment at really good prices.

I often buy inexpensive collectibles for good prices off eBay.

I have never been ripped off.
If I'm ripped off the next time I'm still ahead.
Heck, if I'm ripped off the next few times I'm still ahead.

However, I have never actually purchased computer hardware from eBay.
I have sold a few old systems sans HDD, however.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd never ever do that.

A friend of mine recently bought a MB over ebay (against my protests...) and it had coffee spillt all over it. This seller even tried to clean it up a little. I guess it's not always that obvious, but you really have to consider being ripped off...

Wow, what a stupid seller too! I'd have washed the coffee off the board, let it dry for a few days, and retested it before listing it.

Even if the seller's a crook he could have washed it so your friend didn't see the coffee.