What OS are you running on your new system?

What OS are you running on your new system?

• Vista 64

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Vista 32

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • XP 64

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • XP 32

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • linux distribution

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • vista and xp on same pc

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • windows and linux on same pc

Votes: 16 12.1%

• Total voters

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Vista64 and XP Pro dual boot setup here, Originally Vista was just going to be my DX10 testbed, and just something to play around with. But i find that i hardly ever go back into xp now.. vista seems to load games, maps, etc faster too.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
XP pro here.
Not going to upgrade to Vista till SP1.
I'd class any OS before SP1 as a beta. Especialy with XP and Vista. It's going to get worse with microsoft OS after Vista. Complexity of OS's getting more yet microsoft want to reduce the amount of time between new OS releases. You just know everyone is going to be a beta tester on their next OS up until SP1 or even beyond on that.

XP pro here.
Not going to upgrade to Vista till SP1.
I'd class any OS before SP1 as a beta. Especialy with XP and Vista. It's going to get worse with microsoft OS after Vista. Complexity of OS's getting more yet microsoft want to reduce the amount of time between new OS releases. You just know everyone is going to be a beta tester on their next OS up until SP1 or even beyond on that.
Same here but MCE2005(same thing for real)

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I have a linux box, running SuSe 10.2.. its not on this machine though.. blows vista out of the water with XGL + Beryl.

Im surprised to see vista 32 and XP 32 dead even.

XP Media Center Edition, and I have no intention of upgrading to Vista until something decent comes out with Direct X10 support.

May I go a bit off-topic here please? Should I get XP Pro or XP MCE? Does it make any difference in games? Does MCE support quad-core processors and around 3 GB of RAM like XP Pro?

I'm tempted by MCE because it supports a TV tuner better and it's a bit cheaper, but XP Pro probably has some advantages too, I just don't know what they are. Thanks!

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Why if they are new builds is everyone going 32 bit with Vista ?

buying xp for next build , and Ubuntu linux
to match my present 64 bit , win98 and Ubuntu linux system

jadeite

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I initially migrated from my old sys running xp 32 to vista 64 for my new build. I had enough problems with things like game compatibility and missing drivers that I gave up and installed vista 32. Over time I discovered vista 32 suffers from just about every single deficiency of the 64-bit version however.

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
See Sig :D

Came from Windows. Been toying around with Linux for awhile. Have run servers (using the word loosely; they were all 486/66's for web / mail) with FreeBSD since version 3.4 came out.

So far I've not missed running Windows at all. I'm not really a gamer, and that's really all I'd run Windows for anymore...

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition a few weeks ago for gaming and to become familiar with it since I work in the IT industry.

So far my only complaint is that it is extremely unstable with 4GB of ram, not sure if it is Abit's fault or Microsoft's but I'm still trying to find a solution. :roll:

I do like the eye candy and the fact that it found all of the drivers for my hardware without having to manually download them. I also like that it recognized my RAID array without having to insert a disk with 3rd party drivers during the install process.

I don't trust it 100% yet so I do most of my "business" type stuff on my old XP box. Vista makes me feel like a modern day cowboy trying to break a techno bronco and turn it into a reliable workhorse!

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
You need to date qualify your question. What is a new system varies according to the user's idea of "new" and of course there is a date issue.

My NEWEST computer for business use is using Vista 64 bit. However, I also purchased computers during 2006 and only had WinXp as my operating system choice (and those computers are less than 1 year old and could be justifiably called "new").

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Win XP Pro 32bit dual booted with Win Vista 64bit. I like Vista better than XP and am slowly starting to not use XP that often. Just use XP for BF2 cause I am to lazy to install it for Vista (It's the CD version takes like a hour) and I heard there are problems.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
XP and SuSE 10.2 right now. Will never upgrade to Vista, as I'm really bothered by the annoying messages, the activation process that goes awry sometimes, and DRM. Quite frankly, nothing I need is on Windows anymore, so it won't be long until I'm MS-free.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Yea, I only use XP to game... and everyone at work uses Vista Enterprise...

I would use any other OS as long as I could:

1: Play games reliably without have to use emulators
2: Do office work
3: Let me browse the internet with firefox

Considering just about everything will do 2 and 3, I'm only concerned about 1 :)

tlmck

Distinguished
Ubuntu Feisty with Wine and Cedega for FPS games. I have no interest in DX10. I am usually too busy playing the game to stop and gawk at the scenery.

I also no longer use anything Microsoft. I decided to stop paying someone for the privilege of squashing "their" bugs. I have dual booted for years, but I have spent the last several weeks trying numerous different hardware configurations, and several distros of Linux. My main machine now uses Ubuntu Feisty, and my spare machine is for trying out other Linux distros.

Interestingly enough, after all the hardware reconfigs and OS installs, I never once had to ask Microsoft's permission(reactivate). At least not until I built a third machine from the remaining components, and installed my only copy of XP. I had to call India and ask the nice lady for permission to reactivate one last time. This machine is now doing good work at a local charity. I am also mulling over employment opportunities in the Linux arena.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ok system
1) amdx2 4200/2gigs/7600gs (pcie)- ubuntu fiesty64 bit 8)
2)amd sempy /1 gig/ati 9550 - xubuntu :D
3)p4 2.0 northy/768 pc2100/ati 9250 - linux mint :lol:
4) p3 cele 1.1/640 pc 100/tnt riva xp home :roll:
5)p3 .900 mhz/512 pc133 on board vid- pclinuxos 8O
6)OLD lappy p1 .166 with mmx/148 megs - win 98 :?:
7)Really old lappy p1 .166 /16 megs ram - deli linux :?: :?:

do i have too many? is it an addiction? lol im a sick little man ---muhaaaaa
tried vista -hate it

With so many here using Vista I'm going out on a limb and saying the rumors of Vista's massive suckation appear to be greatly exagerated.

I have zero driver problems and only the occasional game complains. Of course I have new equipment and a lot of horsepower and I don't use any obscure hardware or software.

I was simply sick of XP and have found Vista to be a welcome change.