Ultimate gaming computer

throzen

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
So my parents are pretty rich, and for my 21st bday they are giving me the cash to build an ultimate gaming computer.

My dad said I could spend up to $10k.

I have picked most of my parts already.

I'm just not sure what CPU to get.
Now I know that AMD CPU's are the best gaming CPU's you can get. Just not sure which one. FX-8150 or the FX-4170? The 8150 has more cores, but the 4170 has a higher clock speed.

I want to play all new games on ultra so I really have to have the best of the best.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

pauls3743

Distinguished
AMD was the route to go a decade ago. However, since the release of intel's core 2 range, some 6 years ago, intel have been top dog and never looked back. If you can afford it, intel is the route to go. AMD's offerings have come close over the years but right now AMD has nothing equal to intel's offerings. At best AMD's offerings only compete with intel''s offerings of a couple of generations ago.

As to whether you're best to go the lga1155 or lga2011 route route that's a better question. LGA1155 is really powerful and relatively inexpensive. LGA2011 is the powerhouse of the range, costs a bare minimum of £500 more than the top lga1155 and is really overkill unless you're doing a lot of photoshop and/or video editing (it's always good for bragging rights).

It would aso be worth seeing the rest of what you've picked so we can debug/critique it.

EDIT:I should say that I'm running an i5-3570K with a GTX680 and it runs everything at ultra.

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
....................... bulldozer is terrrible get i7 3960k 690 quad sli 1500 watt psu 32 gigs of ram lga 2011motherboard and ur all set. Or just order from a company than makes custom pcs, because you think bulldozer is good for gaming because of clock speeds...................

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Intel actually holds the title for best gaming CPU's at the moment.

I'm sure someone will put together a nice list of parts soon, but if I had a virtually unlimited budget for a gaming rig, I would probably get a 1155 board that had multiple PCIe 3.0 slots with good spacing.

A bunch of 680 4Gb cards in SLI.

A bunch of large HD monitors.

Max out the memory.

Make the largest RAID 0 array with the largest/fastest SSD's.

Another massive HDD array for storage.

Massive power supply.

Huge full-tower case.

Elaborate liquid cooling.

...And then get a simple i7 ivy bridge CPU and overclock the crap out of it. Maybe have a couple spares/test subjects.

* still type too slow*

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Ohhh nooo you need some help.

First off, AMD CPU's are by far NOT the best CPU's for gaming. Please don't spend a ton of money on a nice system and put an AMD processor in it, it would be a HUGE shame.

Second, the "ultimate" gaming computer these days is not the most expensive or powerful one, but the most logical and necessary one. Computer hardware is far ahead of how much modern games can push them. Sure, waste thousands of dollars on quad-SLI if you want. I will get just as good frames (anything above 60 is a waste unless you have a 120Hz/3D monitor) with my single card, thanks.

Also, you're 21, why not spend even just $2000 (still WAY overkill for today's games/computer hardware), and then use that $8000 on a car or something? Seriously.

Good luck. Just don't buy AMD.

throzen

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Your kidding right? Why should I believe this?

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

You should believe that because the people on this website (Tom's Hardware) are enthusiasts and experts in computer hardware, who spend hours, days, weeks, months, years researching and testing all this, and just *MIGHT* know a wee bit more about this than you do. Aye?

throzen

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Nice to see that intel staff have hijacked Toms-hardware... Yes I'm 21, I already have a car. This rig will need to last at least 1-2 years. Hence why I have 10k.

right now i hold on to the cash. in dec intel is going to drop the ib chips for the 2011 mb. then in april haswell will be out that will be 15 percent faster then ib.
most top top top gaming systems use a board like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188119
then depending on the bios of the mb they drop is a 10 core server cpu.
the use a large custom case like this one do to it size.
http://www.mountainmods.com/
toss in a good asus sound card and a blue ray dvd burner.

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Sorry I'm not sorry that my i5 3570k @4.7GHz will blow away any AMD processor.

Okay, if AMD is so superior, why are they STOPPING their development/production of performance CPUs after their next lineup? Their CEO announced it himself, it's common knowelodge. He said it was a good race for a time, but AMD simply cannot compete with Intel in the performance range of today. Google his statement.

What an idiot. Gotta love when people come on here asking for help then compleatly ignore it. :pfff: There is really no reason to go AMD they have nothing that can compete with Intels Sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridges CPU's especially in gaming. There are ton's of benchmarks that back that fact up. Unless you really have no money there is no reason to go with AMD, even if you were on a budget I would still go with a Pentium G or I3 over Bulldozer. Even a dual core I3 at a lower stock clock speed beats out a Bulldozer at a higher stock clock speed.

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Also gotta love it when the underdog wins. Let him have his parents waste their $10,000 on an AMD-gaming rig. I will stick with my intel build that I worked busing tables and saving up for months for, and my rig will still beat the pants off his.

MoonLiteNite

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Gunna give my worthless 2cents since everyone else.

In reality, intel is higher than AMD for "the best" CPU for gaming.
The AMD FX-8150/70 is a beast if you need many cores. It would AMAZING if games supported 8 cores, but they don't
So the only REAL reason to get an 8150 is cause you want to do many things on your computer at once, like streaming, video rendering, playing a game, hosting a server, ect..

if you want a beast gaming computer.... just get the newest i7, i do believe the highest level runs around 2grand...
But in reality, you don't need the best... computers are wayyyy faster than they need to be even for modern games...

Just my 2cents.. don't let all the AMD vs intel crap get you down. I love AMD even if they don't have the best CPU for gaming currently! I love my 8150!

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

AMD isn't the best, get over it.

Ivy Bridge... i don't know much about it, but i have an 8120 FX and it's nothing compared to the Ivy Bridge cpu's.

Borochadwicsays

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I call shenanigans.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
2011 motherboard
i7 extreme OC'd (pls no AMD)
32GB 2100mhz RAM
GTX690 SLI OC'd
Watercool EVERYTHING. go with something like 1200x120 rad area or some other stupidly large figure and you'll have your awesome PC rig
Then buy some f*** off large displays (say 6 or something) and have surround vision, sound, the whole shabang (if that's a word).
------------------
But of course all of that is pointless and stupidly excessive, spend a grand or so on a decent rig and get a car or something more worth 10'000.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
n wait a minute, it's pretty much impossible to spend 10'000 on a Pc now (within reason)
Buy an AMD motherboard and CPU, and then an intel motherboard and CPU. Keep everything else the same, run benchmarks and see for yourself.