Q3 problem

Hi all,
Just started getting a Q3 problem I never had before. After a couple of
minutes of online play, the game quits and the following message comes up.

Couldn't open c:\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3

Anybody know what's wrong and waht should be done?
TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Steve wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > Just started getting a Q3 problem I never had before. After a couple of
    > minutes of online play, the game quits and the following message comes up.
    >
    > Couldn't open c:\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3
    >
    > Anybody know what's wrong and waht should be done?
    > TIA

    Is that file where it should be?
    Try re-installing and applying the 1.32 point release again?
    Have you messed around in the baseq3 folder recently?

    - you might not have the map in your map folder to play the map the game is
    playing in ( this happens most of the time because of the amount of
    different maps q3 has )
    - you might have not placed you map file in the correct q3 map folder
    de news: Xns9692C3AF9CB97duckrulestheuniverse@news.easynews.com...

    supersonic wrote:

    > - you might not have the map in your map folder to play the map the game
    > is playing in ( this happens most of the time because of the amount of
    > different maps q3 has )

    pak0.pk3 is the main file for quake. It has all the stock maps, bots, etc.

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > Just started getting a Q3 problem I never had before. After a couple of
    > > minutes of online play, the game quits and the following message comes
    up.

    > > Couldn't open c:\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3
    > >
    > > Anybody know what's wrong and waht should be done?
    > > TIA
    >
    > Is that file where it should be?
    > Try re-installing and applying the 1.32 point release again?
    > Have you messed around in the baseq3 folder recently?

    I agree - reinstall (it takes 3 minutes!) - replace the 1.32 ppoint release
    and make sure you have enabled 'Automatic Downloading' in the game options -
    it was always a sticking point with me.. 8-)

    Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

Games Video Games