Q3 problem

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi all,
Just started getting a Q3 problem I never had before. After a couple of
minutes of online play, the game quits and the following message comes up.

Couldn't open c:\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3

Anybody know what's wrong and waht should be done?
TIA

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Steve wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just started getting a Q3 problem I never had before. After a couple of
> minutes of online play, the game quits and the following message comes up.
>
> Couldn't open c:\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3
>
> Anybody know what's wrong and waht should be done?
> TIA

Is that file where it should be?
Try re-installing and applying the 1.32 point release again?
Have you messed around in the baseq3 folder recently?

- you might not have the map in your map folder to play the map the game is
playing in ( this happens most of the time because of the amount of
different maps q3 has )
- you might have not placed you map file in the correct q3 map folder
de news: Xns9692C3AF9CB97duckrulestheuniverse@news.easynews.com...

supersonic wrote:

> - you might not have the map in your map folder to play the map the game
> is playing in ( this happens most of the time because of the amount of
> different maps q3 has )

pak0.pk3 is the main file for quake. It has all the stock maps, bots, etc.

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > Just started getting a Q3 problem I never had before. After a couple of
> > minutes of online play, the game quits and the following message comes
up.

> > Couldn't open c:\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3
> >
> > Anybody know what's wrong and waht should be done?
> > TIA
>
> Is that file where it should be?
> Try re-installing and applying the 1.32 point release again?
> Have you messed around in the baseq3 folder recently?

I agree - reinstall (it takes 3 minutes!) - replace the 1.32 ppoint release
and make sure you have enabled 'Automatic Downloading' in the game options -
it was always a sticking point with me.. :cool:

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.