Contrast Ratio/ DLP and LCD

Hey,
I know 1500:1 is a common CR and 2500:1 is out there as well. If a tv has
2500:1, can you switch it to 1500:1.
My concern is that if you watch tv for a couple hours you may get eye strain
etc.....with the higher ratio and also, it would be nice to switch back and
forth to see which you like better.
Also, if you have a 120W bulb, can you tier it down to 100W? Does this just
cover brighteness or CR as well?
TIA
Take Care
Tec
2 answers Last reply
More about contrast ratio

    Contrast ratio has to do with the amount of detail you can see. The
    higher the ratio the better. I can't imagine why you would get eye
    strain. Unless you just get eye strain. Then you would not want to
    change contrast, you would change brightness.

    Clay

    "Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    > I know 1500:1 is a common CR and 2500:1 is out there as well. If a
    tv has
    > 2500:1, can you switch it to 1500:1.
    > My concern is that if you watch tv for a couple hours you may get
    eye strain
    > etc.....with the higher ratio and also, it would be nice to switch
    back and
    > forth to see which you like better.
    > Also, if you have a 120W bulb, can you tier it down to 100W? Does
    this just
    > cover brighteness or CR as well?
    > TIA
    > Take Care
    > Tec

    I am looking at a toshiba dlp and it has 2 lamp modes, info from the site
    pasted below, I think most sets have this

    Toshiba DLPT Projection TVs utilize a 120-Watt DC lamp. In addition to
    exceptional light purity and reduced flicker, this lamp also has two
    user-friendly features. High Brightness and Low Power Modes allow the user
    to choose 120-Watt Mode for daytime with ambient room light, and 100-Watt
    Mode for nighttime in a dark room, to extend the lamp life. This lamp also
    has the unique Instant Restart feature, allowing the TV to be turned on
    immediately after shutdown, unlike other lamp-based TVs.

    "Badger" <cferriola@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Contrast ratio has to do with the amount of detail you can see. The
    > higher the ratio the better. I can't imagine why you would get eye
    > strain. Unless you just get eye strain. Then you would not want to
    > change contrast, you would change brightness.
    >
    > Clay
    >
    > "Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey,
    >> I know 1500:1 is a common CR and 2500:1 is out there as well. If a
    > tv has
    >> 2500:1, can you switch it to 1500:1.
    >> My concern is that if you watch tv for a couple hours you may get
    > eye strain
    >> etc.....with the higher ratio and also, it would be nice to switch
    > back and
    >> forth to see which you like better.
    >> Also, if you have a 120W bulb, can you tier it down to 100W? Does
    > this just
    >> cover brighteness or CR as well?
    >> TIA
    >> Take Care