Internet explorer Branded as Comcast.

Hello All,

I was helping a friend get his internet connection setup with Comcast. I
had used my laptop to make sure that the internet connection was working
before the cable guy actually left. Anyway, My internet explorer has now
been branded as comcast. There's a little C with a red circle around it in
the top right corner where the globe used to be (below the X, _ , and the
minimize & maximize boxes). Comcast told me that I would have to change the
registry to get rid of it. I know for the general user, messing with the
registry is a dangerous thing, but I was wondering if anyone out there knows
how to change this. I'm using XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6, w/ SP2.

I've tried to unistall & reinstall, but that does not work. Comcast brand
still there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
3 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer branded comcast

    Hi,

    See: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "kismet_entwined" <kismet_entwined@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:C04A1CC6-4D4C-4174-A2AE-EC3E97805A1F@microsoft.com...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I was helping a friend get his internet connection setup with Comcast. I
    > had used my laptop to make sure that the internet connection was working
    > before the cable guy actually left. Anyway, My internet explorer has now
    > been branded as comcast. There's a little C with a red circle around it
    > in
    > the top right corner where the globe used to be (below the X, _ , and the
    > minimize & maximize boxes). Comcast told me that I would have to change
    > the
    > registry to get rid of it. I know for the general user, messing with the
    > registry is a dangerous thing, but I was wondering if anyone out there
    > knows
    > how to change this. I'm using XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6, w/
    > SP2.
    >
    > I've tried to unistall & reinstall, but that does not work. Comcast brand
    > still there.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thank you,

    Thank you for the reply and it did work! Yeah! Do you think there is
    anything else I may need to worry about since Comcast changed the registry of
    IE? I unistalled the help center, and did not see anything else related to
    Comcast on the add/remove programs menu.

    Again THANKS SO MUCH!

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > See: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "kismet_entwined" <kismet_entwined@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:C04A1CC6-4D4C-4174-A2AE-EC3E97805A1F@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I was helping a friend get his internet connection setup with Comcast. I
    > > had used my laptop to make sure that the internet connection was working
    > > before the cable guy actually left. Anyway, My internet explorer has now
    > > been branded as comcast. There's a little C with a red circle around it
    > > in
    > > the top right corner where the globe used to be (below the X, _ , and the
    > > minimize & maximize boxes). Comcast told me that I would have to change
    > > the
    > > registry to get rid of it. I know for the general user, messing with the
    > > registry is a dangerous thing, but I was wondering if anyone out there
    > > knows
    > > how to change this. I'm using XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6, w/
    > > SP2.
    > >
    > > I've tried to unistall & reinstall, but that does not work. Comcast brand
    > > still there.
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thank you,

    Hi,

    Likely not, though you may want to check the OE registry keys the article
    mentions as well. It's pretty common for ISP's to do this.

    --

    message news:8E7B1AE5-0D5E-448F-A282-68C2623E2CC4@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you for the reply and it did work! Yeah! Do you think there is
    > anything else I may need to worry about since Comcast changed the registry
    > of
    > IE? I unistalled the help center, and did not see anything else related
    > Comcast on the add/remove programs menu.
    >
    > Again THANKS SO MUCH!
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> See: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "kismet_entwined" <kismet_entwined@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:C04A1CC6-4D4C-4174-A2AE-EC3E97805A1F@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hello All,
    >> >
    >> > I was helping a friend get his internet connection setup with Comcast.
    >> > had used my laptop to make sure that the internet connection was
    >> > working
    >> > before the cable guy actually left. Anyway, My internet explorer has
    >> > now
    >> > been branded as comcast. There's a little C with a red circle around
    >> > it
    >> > in
    >> > the top right corner where the globe used to be (below the X, _ , and
    >> > the
    >> > minimize & maximize boxes). Comcast told me that I would have to
    >> > change
    >> > the
    >> > registry to get rid of it. I know for the general user, messing with
    >> > the
    >> > registry is a dangerous thing, but I was wondering if anyone out there
    >> > knows
    >> > how to change this. I'm using XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6, w/
    >> > SP2.
    >> >
    >> > I've tried to unistall & reinstall, but that does not work. Comcast
    >> > brand
    >> > still there.
    >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >> >
    >> > Thank you,

Internet Explorer Internet Connection Windows XP