client unk to auth

A friend is getting this message on SOME, not all servers. I have the
following as a workaround:

Often in this case the problem is, that your server is not able to
resolve the ip-address of authorize.quake3arena.com. Workaround: extend
the line
127.0.0.1 localhost
in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
the IP resolves to localhost.

My question: Where the hell is this in XP? I think maybe it was in Extras"
in 98. Anyone know where this goes in XP? TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about client auth

    OscartheGrouch wrote:

    > Workaround: extend
    > the line
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
    > the IP resolves to localhost.
    >
    > My question: Where the hell is this in XP? I think maybe it was in Extras"
    > in 98. Anyone know where this goes in XP? TIA

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > OscartheGrouch wrote:
    >
    >> Workaround: extend
    >> the line
    >> 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >> in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
    >> the IP resolves to localhost.
    >>
    >> My question: Where the hell is this in XP? I think maybe it was in
    >> Extras"
    >> in 98. Anyone know where this goes in XP? TIA
    >>

    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

    Thanks. I think it was Yttrium on your server so tell him if you see him
    before me. Thanks again.

Windows XP Servers Video Games