client unk to auth

Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 5:50:26 PM

A friend is getting this message on SOME, not all servers. I have the
following as a workaround:

Often in this case the problem is, that your server is not able to
resolve the ip-address of authorize.quake3arena.com. Workaround: extend
the line
127.0.0.1 localhost
in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
the IP resolves to localhost.

My question: Where the hell is this in XP? I think maybe it was in Extras"
in 98. Anyone know where this goes in XP? TIA

More about : client unk auth

July 15, 2005 6:46:28 AM

OscartheGrouch wrote:

> Workaround: extend
> the line
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
> the IP resolves to localhost.
>
> My question: Where the hell is this in XP? I think maybe it was in Extras"
> in 98. Anyone know where this goes in XP? TIA

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:54:04 PM

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> OscartheGrouch wrote:
>
>> Workaround: extend
>> the line
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
>> the IP resolves to localhost.
>>
>> My question: Where the hell is this in XP? I think maybe it was in
>> Extras"
>> in 98. Anyone know where this goes in XP? TIA
>>

> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Thanks. I think it was Yttrium on your server so tell him if you see him
before me. Thanks again.
!