Sign in with
Your question

Can't get into Safe Mode

Last response: in Windows XP
November 7, 2009 5:34:07 PM

Hi. So here is the situation:
I was looking of up lyrics to a song when my computer froze. I tried to hit "control, alt, delete" but that didn't work. So I decided to just turn off the computer by hitting the power button. My computer loaded up properly, got the desktop, and then proceeded to freeze. I can move my cursor around but cannot click on anything. I then decided to go into "Safe Mode". As the drivers were loading I received the lovely BSOD. The technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x80537009, 0xF78EE3E0, 0xF78EE0DC)
Luckily, I have a laptop so that is how I am posting this. I am at a loss here. Everything I've read tells me to use "Safe Mode or use the "Recovery Console", which is also not working. Could one of you wonderful people help a girl out?
I've run some system tests to see if anything on my computer is damaged, and everything is running fine. So it appears to be a virus. Hope this extra info helps find a resolution.

Thank you in advance.
Casey

More about : safe mode

November 11, 2009 9:58:00 PM

sounds like some Windows files have been corrupted. You may have to reinstall XP over the existing (damaged) operating system. If you have the CD, begin a new installation, ignoring the recovery console option. Follow the on screen instructions, and when it gets to a certain point it searches for an existing installation. it will then ask you whether you want to repair this existing installation. Choose that option and it will attempt to recover the original installation. On a good day it will do it flawlessly and you will be presented with all your files/programs/etc again, just as you left them. You may have to reinstall some updates that the original CD didn't have, but that's all.
m
l
November 11, 2009 10:31:36 PM

I agree with musicman490.

A repair install might be in order here. You will need the operating system cd.

As described when you start your PC with OS CD don't choose the first R when it is presented, this is for the recovery console. Instead continue on like you are doing an install but when presented with "R" the second time hit it to repair the OS.

After you have performed the repair install you will still need to run full scans with your antispyware / malware scanners.

The repair will make it seem that your PC is back to full functionality, but it is not designed to remove malicious files which can lie dormant and be re-awakened later. It would actually be a very good idea to run your scanners asap, before the computer is allowed to reconnect to the internet (by unplugging the cable). Let it connect afterwards, update your software and run the scans a second time.
m
l
Related resources
!