Playing on laptop

As the subject says, I am wondering if anyone is playing CoH on a laptop.

I am trying to run it on an HP Pavilion zd8110US. It has an on-board ATI
Mobility X600 w/128 memory.

I found today, when I was in PI and someone decided to pull a Thorn in,
that the lag brought my framerate to a friggin death crawl (as in I died
without knowing it)

I have brought gamma to 90%, char/world to 85% and disabled shadows.

On the setup for the video, I have the WMV/VDU turned off.

The driver is 2/1/2005 6.14.10.6512

Any and all help is appreciated.

J Anlee <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote:
> I am trying to run it on an HP Pavilion zd8110US. It has an on-board
ATI Mobility X600 w/128 memory.

CPU and RAM? I'd be hesitant about anything under 2 GHz and 512MB. Ah - I
looked it up. Yes, 3 GHz and a gig of RAM is commodious. I think it's the
display adapter killing you.

> I have brought gamma to 90%, char/world to 85% and disabled shadows.
> On the setup for the video, I have the WMV/VDU turned off.

I don't think gamma does much WRT performance. Particle count and texture
resolutions are the killers. You're going to need to turn everything to
the lowest/off settings and then tweak them up until you reach an optimum
balance between performance and viewability. You might also need to run
in reduced resolution - I ass/u/me you've got 1024 or 1280 native; drop
it to 800x600 and see if that's acceptable. The ATI card doesn't help
matters since CoH is tweaked for Nvidia, but it should be powerful enough
to run in this lowered-display mode.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"J Anlee" <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> As the subject says, I am wondering if anyone is playing CoH on a laptop.
>
> I am trying to run it on an HP Pavilion zd8110US. It has an on-board ATI
> Mobility X600 w/128 memory.
>
> I found today, when I was in PI and someone decided to pull a Thorn in,
> that the lag brought my framerate to a friggin death crawl (as in I died
> without knowing it)
>
> I have brought gamma to 90%, char/world to 85% and disabled shadows.
>
> On the setup for the video, I have the WMV/VDU turned off.
>
> The driver is 2/1/2005 6.14.10.6512
>

> Any and all help is appreciated.

I'm running the game on an Inspiron 9300. Game runs beautifully with all
options maxed out.

Intel Centrino 1.6 ghz
1GB RAM
7200 RPM HD
Nvidia GeForce Go 256mb

"Rom Gin" <romulator@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I'm running the game on an Inspiron 9300. Game runs beautifully with
> all options maxed out.
>
> Intel Centrino 1.6 ghz
> 1GB RAM
> 7200 RPM HD
> Nvidia GeForce Go 256mb

And that last line is why - both 256MB, and Nvidia.

--

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:33:35 GMT, J Anlee <JanLee@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>As the subject says, I am wondering if anyone is playing CoH on a laptop.
>
>I am trying to run it on an HP Pavilion zd8110US. It has an on-board ATI
>Mobility X600 w/128 memory.

I had no choice but to play on my laptop for a few days and found it
worked fine. Fine, except for screen brightness. No matter how much
tweaking I did, I couldn't get it as bright as I'd have liked:
playable, but hard on the eyes.

I was using a Sony VAIO.

Charles Riggs --

There are no accented letters in my email address.