Opening the same ports on multiple IPs?

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
Hey. here's my little diddy. Forgive me if this question is newbish, but I did search the forum to no avail, and I'm still a little newb to proper networking.

I have 3 computers on a network in my house, 2 of them are mine, a PC and a laptop, and another PC downstairs in a segragrated room (my roommates PC). The router is in my room and I am pretty much the head honcho in keeping the internet alive for all 3 PCs.

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 v.3 connected to Shaw Highspeed internet, and I am occasionally having troubles connecting to MSN. Now, I know I have to open certain ports to be able to connect to MSN, as well as send files and accept web cam video among other things. I also use eMule and ICQ, which require other certain ports to be open for proper use. Now my problem is that the router occasionally assigns IP according to whatever theory, and sometimes i get *.*.*.200 or *.*.*.201 or *.*.*.202. In my router settings, under uPnP settings, to allow certain TCP and UDP ports to open for MSN/eMule/ICQ and whatnot for a specific IP address on the network. Now when I boot up and get assigned a different IP, I have to go into the router settings or right click on my internet connection to change the IP address to correspond with my IP address to allow a proper connection for my program I am trying to use.

Is there a way to "universally" open certain ports for all 3 IP addresses (maybe a wild card variable in the IP setting?) because I know that all 3 computers will use MSN, so I want to open the ports needed for MSN without having to change the IP address in the router setting each time I have a problem connecting...

any help would be greately appreciated!
thanks for you time

- Tak

Remember, when in doubt, even monkeys fall from trees sometimes.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you cant do what your asking. but why do you want to do it? so your ports will always forward to one computer no matter what the ip address is? just make the ip address on your computer static. your making this way too difficult

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
I was simply asking a question because I was unsure of what my options were in my situation.
Didn't mean to offend you Jeebus. Thanks for the reply though, I'll get going on reading up on static IPs.

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
Ok, you mentioning that me making it way to difficult sounded hostile. Sorry for blowin' up on ya. I really do appreciate the help though.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
You can do what you are asking. I have never worked with your router/firewall, but just add the ip addresses and the ports to the allow list. The simpler way would be to assign DHCP addresses to the MAC of the NICs. Alternatively use MAC address filtering if your router supports it.

Dev

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
no, you cant. re-read his post carefully and tell me if you think its still possible to do it.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Sorry, I still don't get it. Let me see if I understand this...
He has a router that issues DHCP addresses to three comps. He opens ports for his current address, but when he reboots he gets a different IP address and the ports are no longer available? Thus he wants to open these ports for the whole DHCP range.
Please explain it to me if I got it wrong.

Dev

---

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the problem is its not "opening" these ports its FORWARDING THEM. by design nat cant forward ports to multiple ip addresses. unless things have changed lately. even if a router will allow it its just a bad idea.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
DOH! Yep, I'm a bonehead. For some reason it totally escaped me that he was talking about forwarding...

*Hides in corner, ashamed*

Dev

---

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
same issue here, really, i need to find a router that will support the same port for multiple ips. What it is, is that linksys wont forward a port if it is assigned to another ip/pc already, i am trying to forward RDP protocol but i can only assign the port to one ip at a time....lame. Ill start looking for a much nicer router to do this, most likely a dedicated router, not a wireless router. Current router is WRT54GX2, great wireless router thou.