Upgrade or Save for a New Computer?

Nokturnal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
I have a dell dimension 8300(big mistake lol)

my specs are

Northwood Intel p4 3ghz
1 gig of ram(256 x 2 Kingston and 512 Corsair, all 200mhz)
Geforce 5600 fx(really limiting me on games)
motherboard socket 468 mpga (yay for dell)
305 watt powersupply (yay for dell)

Now, if i do upgrade i don't wanna spend much due to the fact i will eventually want to build a new computer, so im guessing a new i'll need a Video Card/Power Supply/Ram/Perhaps a new case because dell sucks and a new power supply won't fit.

so that seems like a bit of a chunk of change right there that i could end up putting down towards a new computer, wacha think i should do?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Agree with Emp, not worth upgrading. For around $500 you could put together an AMD2 and $600 plus for an Intel that would be better than what you have and be very upgradeable, e.g., for these prices you'll be getting an intro level gaming video card, but still better than what you have now. Depending on your budget now and in the not to distant future you obviously could move up but if it will be tight, I'd get something in this intro range and any extra money I had I'd put into or towards a video card.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I would not upgrade a Dell of that generation. I'd just save up money for a new PC. Intel's coming out with Penryn next month and AMD is coming late to market with Agena the first quarter of 2008.

Actually, for both AMD and Intel, whether name brand or built by a local shop, the month after Christmas is a good time to buy.

If you need it now, then get what works for you. Just don't waste money on an upgrade to a Dell that might not even have the bios support or the voltage for a new Core2Duo.

If you need a budget upgrade that will last you until just after Christmas, then get a $100 to $115 graphics card. If you have AGP, then an X1650 Pro like the one I have in my other PC (a P4 Northwood 2.8 on an Intel i865 chipset motherboard) would work fine. A 7600 GS would too.

12 pixel pipelines would hold you over for 6 months. I get high settings in Oblivion and around 15-20 fps, which is average for an Elder Scrolls title. It's still quite playable. In an RTS or FPS, you'll do even better.