Sign in with
Your question

Intel e6600 running too hot

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2007 10:05:15 PM

Yesterday I assembled my first computer. While mounting the CPU's heatsink, I had a little difficulty in getting the pins that support it to go into the motherboard. When I booted it up, I found that the BIOS said the CPU temperature was 55 centigrade. Thinking that I must not have gotten the heatsink securely on the motherboard, I bought some Arctic Silver 5 and tried mounting it again using this. Once again, I had difficulty securing the pins, and when I booted up the temp was at 65 centigrade or so. I tried again with the same results, and I am fairly sure that the heatsink was secured this time.

Did anyone else have trouble getting this heatsink to mount? I cannot figure out exactly how those pins are supposed to be secured. They seem to be supposed to spin, but spinning them does not seem to do anything.

Also, I applied the Arctic Silver using the instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5... They say to just put a thin line of the goo down the middle of the chip, rather than covering the whole thing. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advanced.
June 24, 2007 11:49:10 PM

It's a poor design; as you've noticed, it's very easy to not-quite-fully secure the hsf, with the resulting high CPU temps. Check out this post starting at step 2.5: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Remember, every time you remove the cooler, you need to clean off both it and the CPU and reinstall fresh thermal compound before installing it.
June 25, 2007 12:49:39 AM

Be sure all 4 pins on the HSF are in the 'lock' positon, i.e. turned fully counter-clockwise (opposite to the arrows pictured on top of the pins). Those pins ahve a locking and a release position. In 'release' the HSF will only partially stick in the down position. It's easier to turn the pins into lock position before inserting them into the motherboard. Just push firmly and when they snap down they really should stay down so long as the pins are turned fully in lock position.
Related resources
June 25, 2007 12:59:16 AM

Thanks, that guide was useful. I wish I had used it for the whole project. I installed the hsf again. I followed your guide and only put a small dot of thermal paste on, rather than the long line that Arctic Silver recommends. I also used a small mirror to look right along the top of the motherboard and see what pins were and were not in. Much better than the wiggling it around and guessing strategy I was using before ;) 

I have left my computer running for a while with the BIOS monitoring the temperature, and it seems to have peaked at 40 degrees. Is this acceptable or should I be trying again to get a perfect seal? I don't plan on overclocking it or anything, as long as it is stable and has good performance I will be satisfied.

EDIT: I have been poking around the settings in my BIOS and noticed that my CPU fan is not set to run very often. Is there any harm in making it run a lot (perhaps even at 100% all the time)? Will it wear out my fan too quickly?
June 25, 2007 2:08:34 AM

No you can keep it at 100% but it will make more noise. 40C is very acceptable for a stock cooler.
June 25, 2007 3:11:11 AM

Quote:
No you can keep it at 100% but it will make more noise. 40C is very acceptable for a stock cooler.

i disagree 40 isnt to great
i gaurentee u it is on wrong...

if u twist the thing with the arrow one way it should let u push the pin in and out, if u twist it the way the arrow points it locks it in place. Play with the heatsink and watch how the lil white point goes up in down . seriously lay on your bed for 15mins and play with the 4 pins see how they work. with a stock cpu cooler i d say u should be hitten 30's in the bios.
June 25, 2007 3:25:17 AM

Alot depends on where you're getting your temps. Typically the bios will read a much lower temp than if you used a program like core-temp. My bios says my CPU is in the lower 30's and core-temp says 40. Also idle will be higher than idle so keep that in mind too.
June 25, 2007 3:36:13 AM

Yeah I know it's not great but it's still ok. Better than the 55-65 he was getting lol. But you're probably right KnowsItAll. I thought that since his fan is not 100% 40C should be ok.

Thx for correcting me :) 
June 25, 2007 4:18:20 AM

I was getting those readings off the BIOS. I have now tweaked the fan settings a little and installed Ubuntu, and the temp is now about 39 Centigrade with Ubuntu running, so I think I am good now. However, I will keep watching it for a while and just replace the hsf if it gives me any more problems.

Thanks for the help.
June 25, 2007 4:48:07 AM

I have that cpu in an intel 975xbx2 mobo. I typically see 34c for normal operations. My core temps are 1-29c 2-27c. I monitor with SpeedFan, which is a degree or two off from the intel apps. I have tried a couple different temp apps, and they are all within a degree or two, so if you trust the cpu to give your temps correctly, then I feel it is as close as I am going to get.

I have only a rear fan and psu fan along with the cpu fan. All are @ 100%. If I run TAT, both cores to 100%, I have 2 120mm fans that turn on when cpu gets to 40c. TAT runs for 15minutes, and my max core temps are 1-52c, 2-50c. All fans are @ 100% then.

Just to give you an idea. My average temp in basement is 72F.

I too use the stock cooler, but I did not put Arctic Silver on. If I ever reseat the cpu, I most certainly will though.

MrWoo
June 25, 2007 8:22:37 AM

Quote:
I also used a small mirror to look right along the top of the motherboard and see what pins were and were not in. Much better than the wiggling it around and guessing strategy I was using before

Are you trying to install the hs, with the mobo mounted in the case?

My advice (and this dropped it ~6 degrees) unscrew it, take it out the case, put in on your knees sidewards so you can see both sides of your mobo and push the pins in proper

Make sure that the black central pin is atleast level with the 2 white bits either side. With it out the case you can push em much harder to get the 3 pins level.

A line of artic silver worked fine for me.
!