jim04268

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hi all,
I'm trying to login or figure out how to bypass the login screen on XP Pro. My friend says that she wanted to "change the name" of her machine and hard drive. Now, XP Pro comes up with the login screen that wants you to press ctl-alt-del to login. The problem is that I get an error about the domain name being incorrect and can't login. I'm not offered any names to chose from, but she told me what she entered for the "name change", so I'm assuming that's the problem. How do I tell the login screen the domain name? Or, how can I bypass it altogether? I put the HD in my machine and looked for things with this new "name" but I don't know if I looked in the right place.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
there is a lengthy process you can go through to set things up so that you can start up the computer and boot straight into windows without even being prompted by a login name. It makes things so much easier but obviously there are security implications.

For your purposes, try booting into 'safe mode'. you should have the option to logon to the machine as administrator, where you can reconfigure all the accounts for that computer. Not sure if you will have the option to change the name of the machine and hard drive, but I have seen this option myself from time to time.