Sign in with
Your question

Desktop doesn't load and task manager is unavailable at startup

Last response: in Windows XP
November 8, 2009 5:58:36 PM

Hi, I'm having a problem with Windows. It just started happening after I installed a trial of Bitdefender. Everything was fine until I ran a scan. During the scan, I couldn't run any programs other than those that had already started. I gfigured that this was some safety feature, but I may be wrong. Either it quarantined a critical file to Windows or everything went to hell during the scan. Might be a virus, but I'm not so sure. Anyway, when Windows loads, all I get is my wallpaper. I get no task bar, no start menu, no programs, just the wallpaper and the ability to move the mouse around. When I press ctrl + alt + delete and click on task manager, it never loads. I'm familiar with starting explorer.exe again, but I cannot access anything. I can start Windows in safe mode, which is how I'm writing this right now, but I can't figure out how to get Windows back to normal from within safe mode. I'm unable to uninstall Bitdefender from within safe mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!
November 8, 2009 6:28:59 PM

Well, I solved it on my own by using a program called unlocker to delete all the bitdefender files instead of uninstalling it properly. Then I created a new administrator account from within safe mode. Then when I logged into it, everything worked fine. When I logged out and into my own usual administrator account, everything loaded like it should.
!