Remove icons in Control Panel

June 19, 2005 1:07:02 PM

I'm using WinXP Pro. In Control Panel, there are 2 items which I cannot seem
to remove (Java and Nvidia video card). These 2 items are no longer needed
as they have been replaced with newer versions. It's just irritating to see
things in there you don't really need anymore. Any ideas on how to do it?
By the way, I already uninstalled the respective programs but the icons
stayed on in Control Panel. Thanks in advance.

More about : remove icons control panel

June 19, 2005 1:33:01 PM

Thanks guys!
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:45:04 AM

Frank,

Control Panel icons can come from two locations ( a .CPL file in
%Windir%\System32 folder, or from two registry locations). See here for more
info: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cpicon.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using WinXP Pro. In Control Panel, there are 2 items which I cannot
> seem
> to remove (Java and Nvidia video card). These 2 items are no longer
> needed
> as they have been replaced with newer versions. It's just irritating to
> see
> things in there you don't really need anymore. Any ideas on how to do it?
> By the way, I already uninstalled the respective programs but the icons
> stayed on in Control Panel. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:19:24 AM

Hi,

Just download shell object editor from
http://www.tropictech.de/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile...

After installing, just run it and change to expert mode, and search for the
icon you want to remove from the control panel by clicking on Deleted
Selected button.

Hope it will help

--
Kelvin Lin