Lag when playing 720p and 1080p MKVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervinshiznit

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I reinstalled Windows on my desktop and now my 720p and 1080p mkv lag significantly when playing them back in VLC. I didn't have this issue before I reinstalled Windows.

I have tried SMPlayer, but it still lags on occasion. I get the feeling this is a codec issue but I'm not sure what codec to install.

Or maybe its not a codec thing. Anybody know what the problem is?
I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 overclocked to 2.8Ghz, and a Radeon HD 4350. The graphics card only shows about 40% activity when playing a mkv in SMPlayer. I have the latest ATI drivers

Solution
When you download driver, it gives you option for complete package or driver only. If you install driver only, xcoder (the codec that the gpu use) is not installed. Even if you install the full package, the driver can install successfully but xcoder not and you get a warning in your post installation log which a lot of users ignore/miss.

abar92

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Did you try this link(a fruit of googling)?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/fix-for-vlc-skipping-and-lagging-playing-high-def-video-files/

Or for best codec software here is K-Lite Codec Pack(with inbuilt media player classic I guess):

http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10794603.html

Don't have that problem with cccp+media player classic and vlc setup. I found vlc is kind of a double up of cccp+mpc as well so I don't even have vlc now. I recommend vlc as first option because mpc need some setting before dxva. And I only use k-lite briefly before using cccp so I don't know the cause but I guess codec problem?

I spot something very strange. You say gpu is working and offloading 264 content but video still lag. Can you check xcoder is properly running and in catalyst control centre that you enable smooth play and disabe all quality processing by gpu.

ervinshiznit

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Well what's strange to me is that while playing HD movies the GPU activity is 40-50% but my cpu activity is about 60% on both cores. Shouldn't the work be fully offloaded to the gpu?

What is xcoder?
In CCC I enabled smooth play and disabled all quality processing.

When you download driver, it gives you option for complete package or driver only. If you install driver only, xcoder (the codec that the gpu use) is not installed. Even if you install the full package, the driver can install successfully but xcoder not and you get a warning in your post installation log which a lot of users ignore/miss.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.