Usb not recognized until restart

Baks

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hi, I seem to have a problem. When i turn off the system it puts itself into stanby mode which i like, as it turns the system on very quickly, however it will occasionally not recognize both the usb keyboard and the usb mouse, and as far as i am aware, everything else usb related. I try switching ports but this does nothing. The only resolution is to reboot the pc and everything is back on working again which is a minor inconvenience.
When it does restart, i get no sound and need to unplug and re-plug the external stereo which is plugged into the headphone jack. why does it seem to not like external things?
under the device manager, if i right click/properties some of the usb drivers, it also does not have the power management tab that others have.
any help will be greatly appreciated..!

JimR1701

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
This is a common problem with windows. Go to the control panel, device manager and down to the bottom of the list and expand the USB devices. Open all of the USB root hubs and uncheck the power management there. The various windows updates may reset these back to the default to allow windows to manage the power for the USB ports. Make sure to verify that the power management is turned off for all USB root hubs. A word of caution with this setting, make sure that you go to the system tray and stop the services before removing any USB device. If you don't over time the USB ports can become damaged and burned out. Then it would require a motherboard replacement to fix the problem.

Baks

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

Thanks for the reply, however as stated, the power management tab doesn't seem to exist... :/

thanks again!