Why do program windows quit updating after a few days?

We have some (PicoLog, http://www.picotech.com) programs
that quit updating their windows after a week or so.

The desktop will show through where the program's window
should be. If we mouse-over the spots where the buttons on
the blank form should be, then the buttons will suddenly become
visible. Mousing over the blank window's other areas does not
seem to do anything.

Otherwise the programs are operating properly -- collecting,
processing data, and saving data. From the Task Monitor,
everything looks normal. Memory consumption looks
reasonable and the CPU idle time is about 99%.

Stopping and restarting the programs will cause the displays
to work properly for another few days.

What can cause Windows programs to stop updating their
windows?

TIA, JohnH
(I am going to try to find a PicoLog support forum to also
post this question to, but I thought that you people around
here might have good clues or suggestions to contribute.)

http://www.picotech.com/support.html

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"John Herbster" <no-swen@no-swen.com> wrote in message

> We have some (PicoLog, http://www.picotech.com) programs
> that quit updating their windows after a week or so.
>
> The desktop will show through where the program's window
> should be. If we mouse-over the spots where the buttons on
> the blank form should be, then the buttons will suddenly become
> visible. Mousing over the blank window's other areas does not
> seem to do anything.
>
> Otherwise the programs are operating properly -- collecting,
> processing data, and saving data. From the Task Monitor,
> everything looks normal. Memory consumption looks
> reasonable and the CPU idle time is about 99%.
>
> Stopping and restarting the programs will cause the displays
> to work properly for another few days.
>
> What can cause Windows programs to stop updating their
> windows?
>
> TIA, JohnH
> (I am going to try to find a PicoLog support forum to also
> post this question to, but I thought that you people around
> here might have good clues or suggestions to contribute.)

sarah

Hi

You can contact Pico Technical Support at tech@picotech.com - if you
supply as much detail as possible as to your setup then we will try
here to replicate it and see if the same happens here.

Best Regards
Sarah
Pico Technical Support

<sarah@picotech.com> wrote
> You can contact Pico Technical Support at tech@picotech.com

Sarah, Thank you.

I am working with my client to get the version information and maybe to
update to the latest versions. (He says that he has 2 versions. "Older
version, sent with previous data loggers is 5.08.11. The newer version
CD is labeled R.18. I'm going back this AM to recheck this as that
number was not a listed version on the website.") When we more definite
info, I will e-mail you.

For others reading this: Do you know if leaked windows handles under
WinXP can cause lack of screen painting after several days running?
Other applications like NotePad and File Explorer can be started up and
seem to work just fine -- while the problem application is suffering.
Are windows handles limited in number for each application?

Thanks, JohnH