I have an open connection, yet I cannot connect?

ashdrgn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I really need help! I've searched and searched...I had a connection about a week ago, then i came home, and nothing. I've spoken with the ISP and they're thinking it's a software based problem (I'm using Vista x64). The connection does work, since I've tested it out on my 2nd HD. I can ping out using under CMD under Vista, no failures. I'm using IE7 and Firefox. The "find/fix problem" link under IE doesn't work and it states that there is nothing wrong with the connection. Firefox usually crashes!?! I really do no know what is going on here. Some others have said to manually set my IP, but it's not taking it - or I'm not setting the correct one. Oddly, there is no IP address listed under ipconfig/all. There is however IPv4 and IPv6 listed. I'm not really sure if that's just an updated version of the same thing on Vista or not. I'll be willing to post my ipconfig, event viewer, screen caps, etc. I cannot find the answer anywhere on this problem and I could really use the help.

Thanks!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try resetting your router to the factory defaults but be sure to have the default log in and password, should be a button on the back of the router and then set up the network from scratch. Once you get the hardwired computer up and running, connect the others

ashdrgn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
g-paw.

I've tried that. I re-did this after your post. I get nothing. How can I ping out to a website and get no drop, and yet cannot connect to the internet?

I used this exact setup on XP(2nd HD) and it's working fine. I've even used the IE7 on the Vista HD with XP to see if anything happened. It worked fine too, so it's not the software. Any other ideas?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
If you can ping out, then go to your web browser and type the IP address of a website. If it goes, you have a DNS issue some where.

To set the static IP, you need to find the correct addressing scheme your router is using, the DNS server, router address (default gateway), etc. and input that information into your network adapter's TCP/IP settings.

You may also want to temporarily disable your IPv6 compatibility. It's not in use right now so there really is no reason to have it enabled.

ashdrgn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Thanks guys,

I disabled the IPv6, and went to try the browser and type the IP address. I still get nothing. Maybe I missed something, any ideas?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Go into your browser and type "64.233.187.99" minus the quotes. If you get website not found, you're not getting the default gateway address, DNS, and private IP assigned from your router.

Another way to test this theory is to plug the modem directly into the PC (after power cycling the modem, of course) and seeing if you get an internet connection.