Well I completely reformatted my 1 TB external HDD as NTFS and set up my backup jobs again. I also updated to the latest build of Acronis TI 2009 as I think the older build was having issues. Everything worked great for a week, until yesterday morning when I got a message saying the backup job had paused and kept asking me for the location of "volume 1". Searching the web, apparently this means the backup archives are corrupted. The complete backup from 1 week ago is fine, but all the incrementals made every night this past week are bad, apparently.
So I guess it's out with this and I will try something else like that Todo software. I can't be having something that gets effed up like this after a week.