foz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
My friend is building a new system (X2 5800, 4gig ram, 2 sata HD, 8800GTS- eventually in SLI). The problem is he wants this Rosewill PS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182069
The wattage and 12v rail amps (60amps on 4 rails) are good enough on paper, but I don't trust Rosewill. I looked up the UL number and it appears to be made by ATNG (UL E186010), which I haven't heard too much good about. I am recommending the Silverstone Olympia 750 (12v. 60amps on 1 rail)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256016
I need some help convincing him not to get the Rosewill. Does anybody have personal experience or know of any reviews(besides Newegg)for either of these power supplys ? Any other recommendations for around $150 and 60amps?

If you are really looking for 60amps on the 12v rail you really need to look at a 1KW PSU. 60amps on the 12v rails means the 12v rails alone will provide 720w of power.

Rosewill is a POS. According to the label, the PSU can only provide 720w of power on the 12v rails if and only if 9w of power is drawn from the 3.3v and 5v rails combine. That is very, very unlikely and I wouldn't trust those number anyway.

17-182-069-20.jpg

At this level of power personally I would go with the PC Power & Cooling 750W PSU for $210.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703008

If your friend is going to cheap out on the Rosewill to save $60, then just tell him when the Rosewill dies, he may need to replace each and every single component.

Okay, if you twist my arm then I would recommend the FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX Series FX760-E for $155 after a mail-in rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104026

Normally I recommend Seasonic PSU, but they have none at this power level.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I have owned a Rosewill RD600N for about 3 years now. It is 600 Watts and has never failed me. As of now it is powering 2 DVD burners, my Phenom II 955, 2 x 2 GB of RAM at 1.65 V, 2 HDD and 1 x XFX GTX 260 Black Edition.

I will admit they have made some crap PSU before, but they got their act together and most of the crap ones were discontinued. They are not the best on the market, but not the worst. I would put them in Tier 3 upper ranks and would recommend them if you are on a strict budget.

If you are looking for PSU reviews, got to www.hardwaresecret.com. They do the best reviews on PSU I know of down to information you don't even really need to know.

In the past Rosewill power supplies got knocked around quit a bit. However, Rosewill is trying to improve. Their new Xtreme series is much better than their older models. Three weeks ago jonnyguru.com did a technical review of the Xtreme series, which includes the RX750 your friend is interested in. The review was quite favorable. Here's a link to the review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=60

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have a Rx- 750 in my AMD X 2 6400 build for over a year now, and it has not let me down. You can go to Jonnyguru.com and check there review of the Rosewill RX- 750 series and they gave it a 8.5 or a 9 out of ten, and there approval. I know that there are alot of people on here that down Rosewill's PSU, however the series that Jonnyguru tested the RX 750 and RX 850 models put out clean and stable power. They were even praised on how there Quad rail system works, unlike many other Quads, when you need all the power on only one rail it will not cut out and it will put out full power to that rail. I also have the RX- 950 and It is running this build right now with a Phenom II 940 B.E. at 3.6 ghz stable, Three hardrives in Raid 0, 2 x 4870's in crossfire, water cooling, Lighting, 2 250mm fans, 7 120 mm fans.... and no problems what so ever. I know there have been some very poor reviews on the egg about these models, but I don't know, mine work, and are very stable.

I would not recommend some of Rosewills other models because they sub out there PSU to other companys to be built, but the RX series, I would recommend them to other people for there builds...

click the pic

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Johnny,

That review at johnys has been out for better then a year... I cought hell from guys on here about the Rx-750 model, as soon as I listed a Rosewill as my choice for a PSU, thats all it took. At the time the reviews on newegg were good for it, I got it in a combo deal with my 6400 B.E. and Jumped on it. I then heard from from others on here what a bad choice it was because the name Rosewill was on it. I started looking around doubting my choice for a PSU until I found Jonnys review on the RX -750 and the 850. One thing I can say about the Rx 750 is get the one with the two 80 mm fans instead of the the single 140mm. It does a better job of cooling the psu then the single fan one. I have several PSU's including the PC and cooling 600watt, the 910watt and as Jonnyguru stated, when they opened the RX-750 up, they use some of the same key parts as PC and cooling, I believe the transformers? I think is what Jonnyguru said.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
NP Johnny,

I just knew it was out back then, because It set my fears to rest when my RX 750 came and I opened the box and was very impressed right off the bat with the Quality that went into this PSU. All the haters on here really had me worried I made a bad choice, until I read that review. LOL> It all good.

I have went back and read some of the reviews on Newegg and I don't know if there is just people on there hating on the Rx series or if they really have had that many fail... I don't know, mine are running fine and I push them pretty hard.