Looking to buy a new computer case with good airflow

brad91

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I am looking to buy a new computer case because I am currently using a crappy Xion which the door broke off on and many other problems.

I need something with good air flow, that's pretty quiet but I don't want to sacrifice performance for that, and something that looks decently well. My budget is $150 max which includes shipping.

I have been looking at the Antec P180 and the Antec Ninehundred.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154

One more question, whats the difference, besides looks, between the P180 and the P182 case?

What do you need to put in the case? If you need more than 4 hard drives and a 8800gtx, then you need a larger case like the ones you referenced. The P182 is an updated version of the P180. There are several small details that make it a better case, and I would prefer it even though it costs a bit more. If you don't need a large case, then look at the Antec Solo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129018 For a review of the Antec 900, and a cooling vs noise comparison with the Solo, look at this:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=996
Shipping for a case can be expensive, so it pays to check your local store to see if you like the case, and avoid shipping. Sometimes Antec will have the case you want as a "B" stock item. Techonweb often has antec cases at a reasonable price .

brad91

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Thanks for the links guys.

I'm going to be putting this computer into the case:

Gigabyte DS3 motherboard
E4300 @2.6ghz (will be going over 3ghz)
x1950XT
1 hard drive (probably going to get a 2nd one)

rsquared

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
One more question, whats the difference, besides looks, between the P180 and the P182 case?
The primary difference is that the P182 allows for routing cables behind the motherboard tray. This can cut cable clutter a lot if you have the cable length for it. It also adds fan-speed switches on the back panel for the top and rear fans (in the P180 the switches simply hung from the fans, inside the case), and two rubber-grommeted back-panel holes intended for watercooling tubing.

Otherwise the P180 and the P182 are identical. Besides looks.

While I am a Lian-Li junkie myself, I built a system into an Antec P150 (the Solo but in white) for my mother and stepfather; I was impressed with its build quality and amazed at its quietness.

How big is your mobo?
I got a X-QPACK2 m-ATX case recently, and despite what I consider a high price ($84?) think it will be worthwhile.

Pros: open design for a m-ATX case, with a rear 120mm fan and a front 80mm fan. Room for a full size+ ATX PSU (like the Mushkin modular). The mobo tray slides out, and the HD cage comes off too. Its carrying handle feels sturdy.
Cons: very thin and flexible when apart, with some sharp edges. Included PSU is a lightweight even though the specs look decent (why I got another Mushkin).

I bought the plain black one, but this case is also available with side windows. If you care, you may then appreciate that the fans have blue LEDs. They connect with a Molex, so they run full speed, but they were pretty quiet when I tested with the case closed.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Just a note - make sure you PSU's 4pin to the motherboard is long enough. With the P180 (what i have), the cable length from my hiper PSU would not have reached. You can buy a 4pin extension cable if you need to.
I'm not sure if the P182 has resolved that issue or not.

nick111

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I have a Brand new Antec Sonata II case with a 450 watt power supply included for sale. $88.00 shipped!
PM me if you're interested.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Today is the first time I had to crank my exhaust fan to 3, if you could build a system like I have heat would not be a problem. Air flow is the most important thing when it is summer. Sheet of plywood and 2-8' 2*4 and your old case. 2 motor fans 10" to 12".

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yep got it beat
im0009753ba.jpg

Changes have been made since the build a shroud has been added, the back fan is in the shroud. Yesterday it was 32 the humidx factor was 39, system temp are 26, cpu temp 32 to 40 playing dirt, gpu is 40 to 45 playing dirt for 3 hours. OC'ed cpu, better than 1 gig, gpu oc'ed 150 MHz. Ram timing are set 1:1 with low lagency. The way I see things, nobody has, easy to make cooling system that works, as good as this. Second, it has room to make changes with a water system, no worries about spills.