jek1862

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
My computer is all messed up, all of a sudden, and I don't know why. I will take it from the beginning. Out of the blue, while trying to boot up, I get a message saying "Windows cannot load, there is a missing file that is needed..."(the rest I can't remember, sorry). Please use your installation disk and use the Repair option to fix this problem. I use Windows Vista Ultimate, by the way. So I popped in the disk and ran repair. It ran for about 15 minutes and apparently fixed whatever was wrong, as I was then allowed to get to my log in page, and subsequently my desktop. But now, a host of new problems have emerged. Some, but not all of my previously downloaded software is now inoperative. I clicked on the shortcut icons and nothing happened. Yet, some DID work. Then on a couple I would get the following message: in a box in the upper left hand corner it says "SmartWebPrinting", then the message says-"the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-rom or other removeable disk that is not available. Insert the 'SmartWebPrinting' disk and click ok". At the bottom is a white space with the wording 'Use Source' and the number "1" in the box. HOWEVER...when I hit 'cancel', whatever I was trying to access then comes up okay, so it is crazy. I don't want to use my computer in this fashion. Something is obviously wrong to get that error message. Heck, I don't even know what "SmartWebPrinting" is, and NOTHING I have downloaded came from a CD-rom, either. Then I had to delete the software that was now not working, and when I tried to download these items again, right in the middle of the installation I get the message: "the directory name is invalid" and it lists some destination location for the file. I am stopped cold at that point, and cannot proceed further. Apparently when I repaired my computer, it messed up some other things. I DO NOT want to do a complete reinstall of Vista if I can avoid it, so please do not suggest that as a first remedy. Please tell me what you think is going on and how I may fix it some other way. I don't mind so much that error message I am getting when trying to bring up certain software, because all I need to do is cancel the error message out and it comes up(although I don't like it either). But not being able to download anything of course is totally unacceptable. Concentrate on that please in helping me try to fix this. Thank you very much.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
May want to start by installing some antimalware software such as malware antibytes, and also spybot search and destroy. Maybe run a scan on the machine with these in safe mode to see if there is anything lurking, let us know what you find out.