What processor should i get after july 22nd

• q6600

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • e6850

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • e6750

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
Very few things will really benefit from quad core any time soon. As tempting as a quad might be for the size of the resulting e-penis, a fast dual-core might make more budgetary sense, and will still help relieve the burden of background processes on your foreground gaming.

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
It's a quad core cpu for servers.

If the prices are really going to drop as low as they say, I would say go with the e6850.

I haven't made this decision yet either. So maybe you shouldn't listen to me..

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I saw an article today showing the e6750 overclocked to 3.9ghz on the stock cooler. So I am going with that one for my recommendation. That is bad@$$. Imagine the possibilities with watercooling 8O .

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I saw an article today showing the e6750 overclocked to 3.9ghz on the stock cooler. So I am going with that one for my recommendation. That is bad@$$. Imagine the possibilities with watercooling 8O .

I saw that too. Insane, to nearly hit 4ghz on stock cooling from 2.66.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I voted for the Q6600, but when I get to thinking about it I think about the present times, and the future. By the time you'll need a quad core, that Q6600 will probably be old news. 2 cores will probably be used more and be cheaper in the long run from power consumption. So really it's kind of a coin toss. If you can find programs that utilize all 4 core then go again on the Q, but since most things won't use all 4 cores for the next year or so I'd say go for the E.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I had been planning on building a new rig with a Q6600 ever since I heard of the price cuts till very recently. After thinking on it for quite a while I realized that I mostly just do gaming, listen to music, surf the net, and watch movies. For these tasks, right now anyway, a quad core is really not necessary. For these tasks an E6750 or E6850 would be better because I would be able to get a higher clock out of them. So what it comes down to is that a quad core would be cool, but for what I use a pc for the dual cores would for sure be a better pick atm.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
if the Q6600 get G0 steppings it will smack the c2d's so much and even if it doesnt i will still pick the Q6600 if i can get 3.6 ghz out of it with my 120 extreme :D tho with the G0 steppings it would be nice to reach 3.5 ghz on the Q6600 with stock cooler

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
A little indication of what you will be using this machine for would help us all to make a better decision of what CPU you should get.

If you check out Toms CPU charts, see what your chosen CPUs excel at and base your decision from there. Trying to second guess when developers will be able to write decent multi-threaded code for multi-core proccessors is not easy. However, XP does make use of more cores by assigning different tasks to different cores when needed i.e. virus scan, software firewall, games. So people who say that MOST games etc don't make use of the extra cores at the moment are correct but XP does and if you run that as your OS it's still there when you are gaming or doing other tasks.