No sound from front panel jacks in Vista

skully78

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

small issue here with my latest build, and some direction on how to solve this will be much appreciated.

I am dual booting XP pro and Vista.
The headphone and mic jacks work in XP, but not in Vista Ultimate.

I installed the latest Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs from realtek for vista, but still no go.

Motherboard: P965 Platinum.
No sound card installed.

what next can I do to troubleshot the issue.

many thanks
Skully

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Go into the bios and change front jacks from AC97 to HD AUDIO.Restart.Then follow the driver re-install instructions.But use the add new hardware wizard that comes up when your machine reboots as it will configure it correctly.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

skully78

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for the reply Dahak

I restarted, checked my bios, but no where do i see any options to change the front audio jacks, i went through every setting.

I have just run Tune up utilities to get some system info and it says

the I/O devices are all set to Realtek High definition v6.6 for speakers and digital out.

any other thoughts.
cheers
Skully

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Try going to the MB manufacturers website and see if there are any new drivers for it.Also click custom instead of express in windows update and look for updated drivers for hardware,you'll probably find a couple.If nothing helps those ways,then see if the same MB man.site has a bios update for your board.You must be very specific about your model number so that you don't flash the wrong version to your board.And make sure you get the latest bios update for your board.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

skully78

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
After many downloads, installs and and a flash.

I found a solution,(none of the above) for those who may have the same issue.

To enable the front jacks, open Realtek HD Audio Manager, click on Connector Settings [folder icon in top right corner] and tick "Disable front panel jack detection". Disable to enable?, but it works.

well at least my bios now up todate.

rock on.

Skully

c2k2k7

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
been looking for this option for ages. Took a bit of finding on xp, but the little folder icon with no text was a nightmare. Thanks for pointing the way. mobo manual only talks about xp.

Latest posts