Acer Aspire 5920 - ERecovery after Hard Drive Replacement

mistybowe

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hello,

I recently had the keyboard and hard drive replaced on my Acer Aspire 5920. I then ordered the E-Recovery discs directly from Acer. Upon receiving them, I tried loading them onto the computer but it didn't work. The first cd loaded about 50% of the operating program, but when I am prompted to put the 2nd disc in and I do so, it just sits there for a while and then asks me to put the disc in again. I can never get any further in the installation of the Recovery CD's.

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried setting the boot order in the BIOs screen, and that didnt' do anything. Any idea on what else I can try? Is it possible to load the operating system software on the computer from the Recovery CD's after the hard drive has been replaced?

Thank you in advance.

mistybowe

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Thanks for the reply Gandalf. I've contacted ACER with regards to the Recovery CD's that they sent me, and they insist that it is not a problem with the discs.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I can try? I'm at the end of my rope here...

Thank you in advance.

Misty

wlee1234

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Misty,

If your new hard drive is blank and hasn't been formatted yet, you may need to run the Acer hard disk preparation program before you can use the e-recovery cds. See Acer's website explanation here:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1405/kw/blank%20hard%20drive/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMTIyNDA2OS9zaWQvNHBveTgySms%3D

Basically, you download the iso image file from their website ( http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/documents/Format%20CD.iso ), then burn it to cd (maybe you can use a friend's cd burner if yours isn't working at present), then insert the cd into your computer and boot from it, and it prepares your blank hard disk for you (just follow the on-screen directions). Then once that's done you can try the e-recovery cds again and it should work.

-Winston L