Mouse not working under Slackware

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Hello everyone,

I just did a fresh install of Slackware 8, and I tried to get my mouse driver to work. First I chose USB mouse (MS optical, the 5 with 5 buttons)as my mouse driver, then I tried choosing MS IntelliMouse as the driver. Both time, it didn't work properly. When I boot up, I get this message

gpm: oops() invoked from gpm.c(962)
/dev/mouse: Function not implemented.

Therefore, when I try to startup Xwindows, it wouldn't work because my mouse driver doesnt' exist. Here is the log for Xwindows.

http://sparks.dyndns.org/XFree86.log

My system specs are:

Asus p3b-f
PIII 800E
256MBs SDRAM
Asus 6800 Deluxe
MS Natural Keyboard Pro
MS optical Mouse

THanks for your help

Sparks

G

Don't worry to much about gpm. It's the non-X mouse driver. I read your XFree86.log, and it says it can't find /dev/mouse.

/dev/mouse is the mouse device, but it's really a symbolic link (shortcut) to the real mouse device which wil lprobably be /dev/usbmouse (assuming it's usb of course).

I've got a MS 3 button wheel mouse, and it's got a link named /dev/mouse to /dev/usbmouse.

So have a look in the /dev directory and see what's there. You can set up the new link - if needed - with "ln -s /dev/usbmouse /dev/mouse" as root.

You'll probably get some new errors, if X is trying to load the wrong driver. You might want "IMPS/2" as the protocol in the /etc/X11/XFree86-4 config file, and add the line "Option ZAxisMapping "4 5"" underneath the device line.