Sign in with
Your question

asus m4a785td -v evo Lan inop

Last response: in Windows 7
December 4, 2009 11:54:04 PM

Just installed this MB with an amd phenom II x4 955 BE. Posted right away but the on board lan wont connect. The lights are green and i even get the orange blinking light for activity, but it never connects. The wire is good and i can connect on the same ethernet cable with another computer. I am in process of RMA the MB, but it just seems very strange for everything to work but the lan especially with it lighting up. Its using the realtek drivers and I updated them to the win7 drivers they have on the asus site. Any ideas or is is more then likely the MB has a problem with the onboard lan?
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 5, 2009 12:39:29 AM

Can you ping anything when the cable is hooked up to the 'defective' NIC?
m
l
December 6, 2009 2:07:05 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Can you ping anything when the cable is hooked up to the 'defective' NIC?

I tried pinging and cant ping anything but what it shows as my own ip under ipconfig file.

I just reinstalled everything and same problem... but the lan seems to be working
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 6, 2009 2:32:49 AM

tried shutting off the firewall?

If you have a spare hard drive, try installing another operating system to it (use Ubuntu if you don't have another version of Windows handy) and see what happens. I'm still very seriously doubting this is a defective board.
m
l
December 6, 2009 3:44:25 AM

i tend to agree prophesy, im currently reinstallin xp on it to see if its a driver issue. I can ping the ip but thats it
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 6, 2009 3:54:13 AM

Did the LAN ever work under Windows 7? I had an issue in Vista on a few machines, where I would update the LAN driver from the generic one that shipped in Vista itself, to the one provided either through Windows Update, or from the motherboard manufacturer. As soon as I installed the newer driver, BAM! There goes my network connectivity. Link lights on the LAN adapter still worked and everything. I reverted the LAN driver back and it functioned normally again.

Perhaps you are having the same problem?
m
l
December 6, 2009 10:43:42 PM

ok so here is my update, end of the weekend now loaded a fresh copy of winxp on it and even went out and bought a 19.00 NIC card still not working hnow can the pci slot nic card not work? checked the wire and changed it on the router to a new position used the wire that was serving the xbox and still nothing.. no idea what is going on. I dont think rma the board is going to fix it.... any other ideas?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 6, 2009 11:20:10 PM

Then it's got to be something in your router... MAC filtering perhaps?
m
l
December 7, 2009 12:52:35 AM

wish I knew, i guess I dont know that much about mac filtering to work on it. Not sure where im going from here, but I am also not convinced its the MB and i dont think a new one will fix my problems.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 7, 2009 12:53:50 AM

What router are you using?
m
l
December 7, 2009 1:07:29 AM

dlink extreme n dir 655
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 7, 2009 1:25:47 AM

Perfect. Log into the router and go to the Tools tab and click on the System section. Click the Save Configuration button and save the file somewhere on your hard drive. Do a factory reset on the Dlink and when the connection is restored, check to see if it continues cutting out on the affected computer.

If it doesn't, you have your answer. At that point, set up your router settings again (at the very least, set your wireless security to WPA2 and use a complex password or passphrase).
m
l
December 7, 2009 6:23:59 PM

i plugged directly into the cable modem and still nothing. what do you think about ram affecting the onboard lan?

still dont understand why a pci slot NIC card would not work also. Can the MB chipset be a problem?
m
l
December 8, 2009 12:51:12 AM

i am now thinking this is a mac address problem... this problem would persist whether im on the router and or the cable modem correct?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 12:59:12 AM

If it's a mac filtering problem in the router, connecting directly through the modem should work without a problem.

However, that did remind me of another potential issue. If you have connected any computers directly through the modem before this issue began, your IP may only allow a certain number of IP's to be assigned to you. Your router automatically gets one, and any computers you hook up directly through the modem get another one for each computer you attach through the modem.

For instance, my ISP only provides me 2 IP addresses. My router gets one. If I hook up another computer directly through my modem, that gets the second one. If I then try to hook up a third computer directly through the modem, it will not connect, because I have exceeded my limit. Only when the DHCP lease expires with my ISP, will I be able to hook up another computer through the modem.

Normally, this issue does not arise, as the vast majority of home users have a router through which they can connect as many computers as they desire.

Edit: In either case, hit and hold the reset button on your router for about 10 seconds and try to connect through it again.
m
l
December 12, 2009 7:22:01 AM

well... i thought I would update you on my problem Prophesy. I RMA'd the board and it got back today and i rebuilt the computer and guess what yes, exact same problem, so I immediately knew that it was no longer a hardware issue, just too unlikely that both mb would have defective onboard lan. I spent hours and was all but gave up and then I finally looked from a lap top at the router settings. I had installed network magic on my computer prior to the upgrade and even though it was no longer running on my computer, it had changed the mac filtering on the router I did not know it did this, so i found it going through logs on my router it had been denying my mac address all the way back to the first build. What made it more screwed, was that when I hooked directly to the cable modem, it too was denying me, probably had something to do with comcast and mac addresses, anyway im up and running, very frustrating though, but thanks for helping me through it.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 12, 2009 4:46:36 PM

You're welcome!
m
l
March 31, 2010 8:10:08 PM

The_Prophecy said:
You're welcome!

Well, gotta say, this 63 year guy needs people like you around. Just built my 5th computer, last one 6 years ago (was ASUS MoBo) and it finally died, built another this weekend with LAN problem, will go home tonight and try some of this new found info.
Thanks
m
l
!