High HDD usage from svchost.exe

svchost.exe Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) is using up 98% of my HDD. But the weird thing is it only happens sometimes. Maybe because of a program? What are some ways i can solve this problem?
Reply to Souporsalad
4 answers Last reply
More about high usage svchost
  1. Reply to noidea_77
  2. I realize that this is an old question, but just in-case someone else has this problem. If you click on the drop down menu beside that svcHost there are things running under it. One of those things is a program called "Superfetch" which is supposed to use a lot of your memory preloading applications that you normally use at that time of day.. http://blog.tune-up.com/myth-buster/myth-busted-why-disabling-superfetch-on-vista-and-windows-7-is-a-bad-idea/ is a good place to read up on it.

Edit: Also, if you have a question about anything running in task manager. Microsoft put in a little extra for us. You no longer have to type the prog. name in search. Just right click it and select search online :) Nice
    Reply to Jon Norton
  3. noidea_77 said:

A reference library is a collection of (mostly) trusted sources that people use to do research, I went to task manager/processes right clicked on what I believed might be my problem and clicked "search online", and one of the early results sent me here. I did this in an attempt to "research the problem on my own". You should try to help W/O being so condescending, it helps no one and only serves to discourage people from learning how to fix their own problems.
    Reply to Gary1972
  4. At this date, this is the first result on Bing's search results for this problem. I right clicked the process, clicked "search online", and arrived here.

I literally just made an account to thank Gary1972 for calling out noidea_77 like he did. Beautiful.

Gary1972 said:
    noidea_77 said:

A reference library is a collection of (mostly) trusted sources that people use to do research, I went to task manager/processes right clicked on what I believed might be my problem and clicked "search online", and one of the early results sent me here. I did this in an attempt to "research the problem on my own". You should try to help W/O being so condescending, it helps no one and only serves to discourage people from learning how to fix their own problems.

Reply to kcorpetti
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Svchost.Exe Windows 8