Q3 Model Mix n Match -

I recently saw a model made up of Xaero's body and Slash's head - it looked
both intimidating AND freaky. It occured to me that there are some mixes
that seem to fit well, and some that dont.

I am now using a Bones body with a Uriel head - which fits well i think -
and I have seen Slash bodies with Minx heads that also look good -

Can anyone suggest some other combinations?

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.
12 answers Last reply
More about model match

    Miss Understanding wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest some other combinations?

    If you really want to get people's attention, try Bones' body and
    Orbb's head. There's something a little disconcerting about that huge
    eyeball.

    I've also seen some people who's config is set to use Orbb's head as
    the /forceenemymodel. I think the intention is to be able to tell
    where your opponent is looking, because as you know if he's turns
    slightly the head will move but the body wont.

    Miss Understanding wrote:

    > I recently saw a model made up of Xaero's body and Slash's head - it looked
    > both intimidating AND freaky. It occured to me that there are some mixes
    > that seem to fit well, and some that dont.
    >
    > I am now using a Bones body with a Uriel head - which fits well i think -
    > and I have seen Slash bodies with Minx heads that also look good -
    >
    > Can anyone suggest some other combinations?

    Tank with uriel headmodel is good. Sarge head on bones is good.

    Pi2, Mynx, Hunter head on a Crash body :)
    What you using to do this?
    McG.

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in

    > Pi2, Mynx, Hunter head on a Crash body :)
    > What you using to do this?
    > McG.
    >
    > "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently saw a model made up of Xaero's body and Slash's head - it
    >>looked
    >> both intimidating AND freaky. It occured to me that there are some
    >> mixes that seem to fit well, and some that dont.
    >>
    >> I am now using a Bones body with a Uriel head - which fits well i
    >> think - and I have seen Slash bodies with Minx heads that also look
    >> good -
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest some other combinations?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

    patriots body w/klesk head :)

    > Pi2, Mynx, Hunter head on a Crash body :)
    > What you using to do this?
    > McG.

    Just going into the config file and changing the model parameters.... is
    there an easier way?

    >> Pi2, Mynx, Hunter head on a Crash body :)
    >> What you using to do this?
    >> McG.
    >
    > Just going into the config file and changing the model parameters.... is
    > there an easier way?

    Frankly, I didn't have any idea you COULD do that as each character is a
    discrete .MD3 file. I imported them into Milkshape3D and swapped parts
    that way for a new discrete model file. Difficult at times if you don't get
    all the parms right, but it was fun for a couple years :) I just thought of
    something. I knew you could do this with Q3 team arena, but not Q3A. I own
    both, but have just Q3A installed at this time. The config file for old Q3A
    is a LOT shorter than the one generated by Q3TA.
    McG.

    <christopher.secord@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Miss Understanding wrote:
    > > Can anyone suggest some other combinations?
    >
    > If you really want to get people's attention, try Bones' body and
    > Orbb's head. There's something a little disconcerting about that huge
    > eyeball.
    >
    > I've also seen some people who's config is set to use Orbb's head as
    > the /forceenemymodel. I think the intention is to be able to tell
    > where your opponent is looking, because as you know if he's turns
    > slightly the head will move but the body wont.

    Thats a great idea! - thanks. I will try that for a while...

    > "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Pi2, Mynx, Hunter head on a Crash body :)
    > >> What you using to do this?
    > >> McG.
    > >
    > > Just going into the config file and changing the model parameters.... is
    > > there an easier way?
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > Frankly, I didn't have any idea you COULD do that as each character is a
    > discrete .MD3 file. I imported them into Milkshape3D and swapped parts
    > that way for a new discrete model file. Difficult at times if you don't
    get
    > all the parms right, but it was fun for a couple years :) I just thought
    of
    > something. I knew you could do this with Q3 team arena, but not Q3A. I
    own
    > both, but have just Q3A installed at this time. The config file for old
    Q3A
    > is a LOT shorter than the one generated by Q3TA.
    > McG.

    Hehe - I didnt know you COULDNT do it... 8-)

    I noticed the skin parameters when I went through the config file to
    optimise for broadband play. It was abit of trial and error at first -
    chosing a skin in-game, checking the config file to see how that skin was
    named - changing skin in-game - checking to see how that skin was named -
    changing either head or body name for FFA and Team options etc.

    Perhaps I have errored, and no one else sees my creation!? Is there a way
    to check?

    >> "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Just going into the config file and changing the model parameters....
    >> > is
    >> > there an easier way?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >

    >> Frankly, I didn't have any idea you COULD do that as each character is a
    >> discrete .MD3 file. I imported them into Milkshape3D and swapped parts
    >> that way for a new discrete model file. Difficult at times if you don't
    > get
    >> all the parms right, but it was fun for a couple years :) I just thought
    > of
    >> something. I knew you could do this with Q3 team arena, but not Q3A. I
    > own
    >> both, but have just Q3A installed at this time. The config file for old
    > Q3A
    >> is a LOT shorter than the one generated by Q3TA.
    >> McG.
    >
    > Hehe - I didnt know you COULDNT do it... 8-)
    >
    > I noticed the skin parameters when I went through the config file to
    > optimise for broadband play. It was abit of trial and error at first -
    > chosing a skin in-game, checking the config file to see how that skin was
    > named - changing skin in-game - checking to see how that skin was named -
    > changing either head or body name for FFA and Team options etc.
    >
    > Perhaps I have errored, and no one else sees my creation!? Is there a way
    > to check?

    Get on a server with someone and chat back n forth with what you each see.
    Actually, it being your .cfg that's being changed and not someone elses,
    then you'll see the skin changes for sure but maybe they won't. It's worth
    a look.
    McG.

    Miss Understanding wrote:
    > he
    > had altered his own config file to force the Keel model on all other
    > players - that way, as he told it, everyone is easier to see. So in effect,
    > my changes were not visible to him.

    That's what most people do.

    In plain vanilla quake, it's not all that useful in the team-based
    games because it sets everyone, both friendly and enemy, to the same
    model. But in mods like threewave, you can make the other team one
    model, and make your team a different model. See, the different models
    make different noises, so this way you can tell just by listening if
    the guy around the corner is friendly or not. It's more of an
    advantage than you can possibly imagine!

    The loudest one is probably TankJr. If you're bounding along with the
    flag, making a mad dash for your base, you can tell in a fraction of a
    second that there are bad guys down that hall, but the other hallway
    sounds clear. You can tell where friendly's are and follow them for
    protection. It's great. Also (again, in mods like threewave) you can
    set the enemy's color. So the bad guys aren't red or blue, for me I
    have them set to a bright green. It's very easy to see them.

    For a while, I didn't believe in changing the enemy model. My thinking
    was, some of the people on the enemy team are really good, and it's in
    my best interest to be able to spot them quickly. If I realize that
    this guy over here who's using Major is some kind of steely-eyed killer
    while this guy using Klesk is a noob, then when I meet one of them if
    it's Klesk I can just blow through him and drive on, but if it's Major
    I need to play a little more defensively.

    That's what I used to think. But the reality is that pretty much
    everybody is good these days so it doesn't matter anymore. I suggest
    that you download threewave and play a little capturestrike. You'll
    really like it.

    > "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> Frankly, I didn't have any idea you COULD do that as each character is
    > >> discrete .MD3 file. I imported them into Milkshape3D and swapped
    parts
    > >> that way for a new discrete model file. Difficult at times if you
    don't
    > > get
    > >> all the parms right, but it was fun for a couple years :) I just
    thought
    > > of
    > >> something. I knew you could do this with Q3 team arena, but not Q3A.
    > > own
    > >> both, but have just Q3A installed at this time. The config file for
    old
    > > Q3A
    > >> is a LOT shorter than the one generated by Q3TA.
    > >> McG.
    > >
    > > Hehe - I didnt know you COULDNT do it... 8-)
    > >
    > > I noticed the skin parameters when I went through the config file to
    > > optimise for broadband play. It was abit of trial and error at first -
    > > chosing a skin in-game, checking the config file to see how that skin
    was
    > > named - changing skin in-game - checking to see how that skin was
    named -
    > > changing either head or body name for FFA and Team options etc.
    > >
    > > Perhaps I have errored, and no one else sees my creation!? Is there a
    way
    > > to check?
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > Get on a server with someone and chat back n forth with what you each see.
    > Actually, it being your .cfg that's being changed and not someone elses,
    > then you'll see the skin changes for sure but maybe they won't. It's
    worth
    > a look.
    > McG.

    Its crazy you wrote that! I got on last night with a player named 'Slade'
    and asked him what he thought about my skin combo - only to be told that he
    had altered his own config file to force the Keel model on all other
    players - that way, as he told it, everyone is easier to see. So in effect,
    my changes were not visible to him. SO much for vanity......

    > Miss Understanding wrote:
    > > he
    > > had altered his own config file to force the Keel model on all other
    > > players - that way, as he told it, everyone is easier to see. So in
    effect,
    > > my changes were not visible to him.
    >
    > That's what most people do.
    >
    > In plain vanilla quake, it's not all that useful in the team-based
    > games because it sets everyone, both friendly and enemy, to the same
    > model. But in mods like threewave, you can make the other team one
    > model, and make your team a different model. See, the different models
    > make different noises, so this way you can tell just by listening if
    > the guy around the corner is friendly or not. It's more of an
    > advantage than you can possibly imagine!
    >
    > The loudest one is probably TankJr. If you're bounding along with the
    > flag, making a mad dash for your base, you can tell in a fraction of a
    > second that there are bad guys down that hall, but the other hallway
    > sounds clear. You can tell where friendly's are and follow them for
    > protection. It's great. Also (again, in mods like threewave) you can
    > set the enemy's color. So the bad guys aren't red or blue, for me I
    > have them set to a bright green. It's very easy to see them.
    >
    > For a while, I didn't believe in changing the enemy model. My thinking
    > was, some of the people on the enemy team are really good, and it's in
    > my best interest to be able to spot them quickly. If I realize that
    > this guy over here who's using Major is some kind of steely-eyed killer
    > while this guy using Klesk is a noob, then when I meet one of them if
    > it's Klesk I can just blow through him and drive on, but if it's Major
    > I need to play a little more defensively.
    >
    > That's what I used to think. But the reality is that pretty much
    > everybody is good these days so it doesn't matter anymore. I suggest
    > that you download threewave and play a little capturestrike. You'll
    > really like it.

    Everything you said makes sense - thanks for that. I will look up
    threewave - I hope it can be played stand alone at home .. :)

    Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

Games Video Games