Sign in with
Your question

Plz read. Its about my new X1950XT. Thanks!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2007 9:18:10 PM

Hello to everyone! I am new on the site....
My specs are: AMD 3.7 San Diego, 2GB RAM cl 2.5 dual channel twinmos, Asus A8V deluxe motherboard, PSU Thermaltake TR2-550W and recently i changed the 7800 GS Albatron 256MB with Gecube X1950 XT 256 MB AGP bus.

My question is if my hardware will hold about 2 years more. I play all the games like Oblivion , C&Q 3, Ancient Wars Sparta, Warhammer, Neverwinter nights 2, Tomb Raider-Anniversary, Titan Quest, PES6 etc in 1280x1024 in full details and i am very satisfied with my card. I didnt believe that it could be such a big difference with my previous Albatron 7800 GS.
My question is: Will i play all the futures games like Crisis or Starcraft 2 in 1280x1024 until summer 2009? Or i have to change my entire PC with a new high-end PCI-E system with 8800 GTX......?
Plz send me your advise....

More about : plz read x1950xt

June 25, 2007 9:24:03 PM

soooooooo lemme get this straight you traded out a High end 7800GS AGP for another High end X1950Xt AGP card....... you must have a lot of money to blow.

Firstly what was wrong with your 7800GS? thats a good strong AGP card the X1950XT is of course better and stronger but wasting more money on a AGP Bus that no one supports any more anit really smart.

IMHO, return that X1950XT get your money back SAVE THAT MONEY for a brand new computer and put back in that 7800GS and live with the great performance the 7xxx series devliers to the AGP bus.
June 25, 2007 9:44:21 PM

well that card may be good at playing future games in dx9..but not dx10 (since it doesnt support it). That being said we....as in the general public... know just as much as you when it comes to figuring out how demanding the newer games will be.

soo in simple terms..... havnt got a clue mate :roll:

may last you 2 years...maybe 1...maybe even just another few months. You'll just have to sit it out like the rest of us.
Related resources
June 25, 2007 9:54:20 PM

Keep the X1950XT if you like it and it's working for you. It's an excellent card and will hold it's resale quite well compared to other cards. Sell it on eBay when you decide to upgrade later.

There's no real way to tell how it will handle those future titles because they aren't out yet. If it handles one of the most demanding games out there (Oblivion) to your liking now, my guess is that you'll be able to play those future titles decently as well. Only Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot by making a DX10 only game title.
June 25, 2007 10:41:55 PM

no i dont have so much money. I just sale my previous 7800 GS and bought the X1950XT. And i am not stupid because i gave about 350 euros for both cards,so for a new high-end PC i must pay about 1200 euros!
Understand?
June 25, 2007 11:28:54 PM

that card will be fine. for crysis however, i have no clue. i can only speculate that it will probably be able to run crysis using the dx9 textures. i doubt that crytek will lock out the vast majority of gamers still on xp pro because of dx10. that would just be bad business. performance wise, on pure speculation although based on oblivion, i would guess that being a fps with a huge environment that is highly detailed like crysis will probably need to be run on low quality settings for acceptable frame rates. i am basing my assumptions on oblivion because crysis is like oblivion's predecessor F.E.A.R.; the monster game of the year graphically wise. and both those games outmatched their generation's graphic cards. but again we really don't know until the game actually hits retail. for all we know crysis could be a very efficient (code-wise) game but that would be very optimistic.
June 26, 2007 6:57:56 AM

As someone still running on AGP I can tell you that I've been saving my coin to put in a PCIe machine. I'm running a XP3000 w/ 6800GT and Supreme Commander and STALKER are the first games I've come across that I just cannot play at an adequate speed (1440x900). As such I'm looking to upgrade to a X1950Pro and all the reviews say it's good for now (crossfire 580X mobo to futureproof).

My opinion is you should have saved the 350 euros and gone to PCIe. You shouldn't need to spend 1000 euro for a new PC either;
ASUS M2R32-MVP + X2 5600 + 2x1GB6400 + X1950Pro + 320GB SATA should be under 500 euro reusing the old case. If the 2900XT turns out to be good for DX10 you can buy one and then another for the Crossfire. That's my path as a budget upgrader.

Directly answering your question though there is no way you'll be playing Crysis at high detail on that card. Like Brick88 said Medium-Low is where we'll be at on our X1950s and I hope it will be at playable framerates. :?
June 26, 2007 7:41:19 AM

Please do not be offended???

If armageddon comes tomorrow it won't make much difference what is on your computer.

Instead of playing video games you should get up and answer the door when Jehovah's witnesses come knocking at your door. They will help you survive armageddon.
June 26, 2007 9:13:05 AM

I am not sure it is the graphics card which is holding you back in supreme commander. I have an E6400 and I still struggle when the battles get big in supcom.
June 26, 2007 10:12:18 AM

Quote:
no i dont have so much money. I just sale my previous 7800 GS and bought the X1950XT. And i am not stupid because i gave about 350 euros for both cards,so for a new high-end PC i must pay about 1200 euros!
Understand?

I also think the X1950XT is a decent upgrade to a 7800GS. In Tom's VGA charts, the similar 7800GT gets 7.4 fps in Oblivion and the X1950XT gets 21.4 at 1024 x 768. That's a reasonable difference in playable framerates in one of the most demanding DX9 titles out there.

I don't consider the 7800GS AGP to be high end anymore, it's a midrange card similar to the X1650 Pro. If you could only afford that upgrade, then it was a good move, as the X1650 Pro gives only 11 fps in the same circumstance.

Ideally, they say only upgrade the GPU if the new one is two tiers above, and you did that correctly, according to the "Is it a good deal?" chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/11/the_best_gaming_...

In that chart, a 7800GS is classified with a 7600GT and a 6800 Ultra, whereas the X1950XT is in a class of it's own.

I admit, the ideal solution would have been an 8800GTS, but if that wasn't affordable, then I think you have one more year of high end DX9 gaming and another year of midrange DX9 gaming under new DX10 titles that also support a DX9 path. The only problem you might have is if a game, like Alan Wake, requires a dual core CPU. That San Diego core is an Athlon 64 isn't it?

Quote:
Please do not be offended???

If armageddon comes tomorrow it won't make much difference what is on your computer.

Instead of playing video games you should get up and answer the door when Jehovah's witnesses come knocking at your door. They will help you survive armageddon.

No, playing computer games will help. We can all learn how to beat the Beast's forces in that "Left Behind" game. As in "everything I needed to know to survive the Tribulation I learned through RTS play in Tribulation Force" :p 

I'm a partly Jewish Christian, and I don't think that God minds computer games, not even secular ones. He might have a problem with torture games like Manhunt 2. I know it disgusts me and I'm glad it's banned, it makes the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Oblivion look like a Sunday School ice cream social. :lol: 

Then again, I don't like movies like "Saw" or "Hostel". What happened to all the great vampire and werewolf movies? Or ghost movies like the remake of "House on Haunted Hill?" I guess I'll go see that new Stephen King movie, horror needs the supernatural, not just crazy people.

I'm also dual covenant so I'm not out to convert anyone.
June 26, 2007 11:37:42 AM

I wouldn't bother with 8800 or any 8 series from what you've currently got. As they are 1st generation Dx10 cards, the performance increase wouldn't justify a new system.

Your system is good enough to hold out to the second generation of DX10 cards. Developers are now accustomed to it's design, so rumours that the 9 series are going be around 3 times as fast could easily be true.

Think of it in terms of the difference between the Nvidia 5 series to the 6 series.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2007 11:56:47 AM

Its pretty much as most everyone has said. You may be stuck playing newer games at midrange settings. But I must say, people are dreaming if they compare a 7800gs to a 1950xt. Its a fine upgrade, and a better card for heavy textures, which by all accounts, is what the newer games are all about. And dont be so concerned with DX10, as I suspect, we wont see a true DX10 game for a long while.
!