Sign in with
Your question

External HD - Computer not reading it after power failure!

Last response: in Storage
June 25, 2007 10:42:13 PM

This is my case:
I was watching a movie stored on my Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 External HD then i had a power failure in my house and everything turned off.. When i tried to turn on my HD again it made an unusual ticking sound like every second or so, the computer made the usual "usb device plugged in" sound but there was no drive and it wasn't reading it. I tried like 5 times and everything was the same.

I'd like to know if its completely damaged and all data was lost, or how to know that, or if its still there how to recover it.

I am really sad because I have like 180 GB of important data and personal stuff that i cannot replace. So if any one knows a solution please help me!
Related resources
June 25, 2007 10:54:39 PM

sorry about the annoyance
a c 152 G Storage
June 25, 2007 11:14:41 PM

if it clicks like that it may be dead.
your best bet is to open it up and try it in a computer, with any luck its just the power supply and the drives ok.

If not then the drive is toast.

Sorry for the bad news.

Also.... Thats WAY too much bumping.
June 25, 2007 11:22:30 PM

i am sorry i cant erase my posts
June 25, 2007 11:25:48 PM

im sorry about this
a c 152 G Storage
June 25, 2007 11:48:05 PM

why are you still bumping?
June 26, 2007 12:05:33 AM

Quote:
why are you still bumping?

Because he is an a$$hole? A moderator should delete this thread and ban the user for a month.
June 26, 2007 7:48:56 PM

i'm sorry.. well i think the idea from darkusget is fine.. get this erased.. but i am not an ashole i'm just desperate.. i apologize for [/quote]the trouble
June 27, 2007 3:54:47 PM

fool do not Press Submit 10-20 times (you probly be banned soon or at leaswarned)

if its clicking its most likey Dead but like the other one posted take it apart and plug it into your PC (Inside it) or take it to an computer shop if your not sure

if you manage to get it working Pull the data off it put it back in the box and test it agane

if its dead its time to wipe out segates web site and get it RMA and thay giet you an new one
June 27, 2007 5:29:20 PM

Sometimes this problem caused if the controller of your hard drive is defected. The power failure probably caused the damage. I suggest you to find someone who has the same hard disk model number and swap the controllers. You know the controller is the card under the drive. There are some screws that hold it. Find a compatible screwdriver and give it a try. In the past i fixed many hard drives in that way. Of course there is a chance that track 0 on the platters surface or the head is defected. In that case you can't do anything except if you are willing to pay here is the website of ontrack who can do it.
http://www.ontrack.com/labdr/
June 27, 2007 7:31:48 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND I APOLOGIZE AGAIN..
IT WORKEDON SEVERAL ATTEMPTS BUT I AM GOING TO GET THE DATA OUT AS SOON AS I CAN..
!