2nd Seagate hard drive failed!

Jd

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Hi,
I have a 320 GB 7200.10. Recently its header started to get stuck, and occassionally it won't be detected by my system. I have a PCP&C's 1KW Turbo Cool which surely has enough juice to power it. I just want to know if getting a WD's 320 GB would result in any performance shortfall compared to Seagate's.

Btw, this is the 2nd drive from Seagate (same model) that is causing me trouble.

sincerely,
Jd

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hi,
I have a 320 GB 7200.10. Recently its header started to get stuck, and occassionally it won't be detected by my system. I have a PCP&C's 1KW Turbo Cool which surely has enough juice to power it. I just want to know if getting a WD's 320 GB would result in any performance shortfall compared to Seagate's.

Btw, this is the 2nd drive from Seagate (same model) that is causing me trouble.

sincerely,
Jd

Try to diagonosis with sea tool from the web site. It will tell you if there there is any problem. You can exchange with another one if it is defective.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I've had a dozen Seagate drives and am still using a 120gb 7200.7 which is about 5 years old in my system now. I have never had an issue with Seagate but just as with all companies I'm sure duds are out there. My question is if you were using the same motherboard for both failures there might be a problem there.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm disappointed to hear that. The Seagate 7200.10 uses PMR technology which increases reliability and speed. Without knowing the exact WD 320 you are looking at I can't be sure, but I don't think it has PMR. Here is a link to the HD charts so that you can check relative speed. Ignore "interface performance" as it means nothing.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Try to change the damn Seagate HD with Western digital. And don't worry you will not notice any defference in performance. More likely is a compatibility problem with your motherboard.

xnamerxx

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
the hard drives do need some cooling with them for them to be reliable. Ive had 4 drives in my system for over 2 years this is including 2 raptors and 2 7200.7 drives and they have been working flawlessly over that time period. This is with nothing more then the 1 intake fan on my antec superlanboy case.

etherboy

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Proper cooling for 7200RPM hard drives is crucial. They are a lot hotter than 5400RPM drives. Most of my old drives were dead because of not enough cooling.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
You know everyone I know has had problems with SeaGate HDD lately. Maybe a few years ago they were good but now they have a high failure rate. Oh and you will notice a differance between a Raptor and a SeaGate as the Raptor spins 2800RPM's faster, "Don't listen to anybody that tells you different cause there full of Sh!t."

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Yeah, I second removing cooling as the culptit. Just a cooincidence -- I had a harddrive fail tonight! It was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

Fortunattely, that was the "storage" drive. The primary is a wonderful WD 10k rpm raptor. No problems there.

A slow "detecting IDE devices" on boot-up yields only the Baraccuda.

Switchin SATA ports doesn't help. Removing the primary doesn't help. Jumpers don't do anything.

I guess this is an honest-to-God failure? How can I get it replaced without the receipt?

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
The receipt of purchase is in the accounting program from the company you bought it. Also the Model part number and serial number might help finding the receipt in their program. If this can't help try sending it directly back to Seagate. Check out this link.

https://store.seagate.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SgCheckWarrantyView?langId=-1&krypto=lZV0ifY90uy6PUbeNYxmlJ%2FeOamQTU8vX%2FyVcskL7Ra8YMmV34QjfaXbpO6NlvwR%2BTEC3tVdnhJ0%0AtmaQWKyGUNscSUkjrgNNSrX6sZWZFxPTN7qiNOvGlw%3D%3D&ddkey=SgSSORedirect

I've had a dozen Seagate drives and am still using a 120gb 7200.7 which is about 5 years old in my system now. I have never had an issue with Seagate but just as with all companies I'm sure duds are out there. My question is if you were using the same motherboard for both failures there might be a problem there.

As a tech iv seen quite a few seagates with bad sectors and head issues, but not as many issues as Maxtor. Personally, Seagate is my choice - quiet, cool and reliable.

Every year its a good idea to check the condition of your hdd's with the manufacturers tools, another tip - keep your hdd's cool and they will last alot longer ;)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
also @ systemlord: A couple of years ago brother #1 was talking to brother #2 telling him that Seagate drives were crap. I asked brother #2 later and he said that #1 said that things might have changed and that Seagate drives were probably OK. Based on these posts I'm not convinced. By the way, Brother #1 is a hard disk forensic analyst. I think he was just being nice to Seagate. I am very disappointed because they were early adopters of PMR. I was considering buying one as a second drive on a new build. I have a Raptor and it's well understood that they rule as desktop drives, just look at the charts.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Yeah, I second removing cooling as the culptit. Just a cooincidence -- I had a harddrive fail tonight! It was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

Fortunattely, that was the "storage" drive. The primary is a wonderful WD 10k rpm raptor. No problems there.

A slow "detecting IDE devices" on boot-up yields only the Baraccuda.

Switchin SATA ports doesn't help. Removing the primary doesn't help. Jumpers don't do anything.

I guess this is an honest-to-God failure? How can I get it replaced without the receipt?

"See I rest my case", it seem no matter where I go I hear that SeaGates fail. I have a friend that dropped his WD Raptor four feet off the assfault and that was two years ago.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It's funny when I see a comment by someone that says that heat generated by a hard drive will not kill it.

I have had a number of usb enclosed no fan only vents seagate hard drives of the 7200 rpm type. They all failed in an 18 month time frame.

They all were very warm to the touch.

So when I received their RMA replacements I put them in fan vented usb enclosures. I have not had a problem with them since.

Conversely I have two old 160GB IBM,s that run at 5400rpm, in vent only usb enclosures that run just fine.

I also have had two seagate 320's fail when I had them next to the floppy drive 3.5 inch bays, no direct fan blowing on them.

Of the six Seagate drives that have a fan blowing directly across them I have had no failures.

My latest Seagate drive failure was on that I had in a 5.25 inch bay with an adapter, again this was without any fan blowing in the drive.

My ambient air temp in my office is 69 to 70 degrees F.
Both computers run an inside temp of around 98 to 100 degrees F.

All my cases are Antec lanboys, with the 12 cm intake and 12 cm outflow fans.

No drive has failed, that has a fan blowing on it. Seagates also seem to run hotter, than all but the two older raptors that I have.

In my opinion drive heat is an issue, that needs addressing.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Spend more get more, spend less get less. Theres always a rule to the exception. I personily have never heard of a Raptor failure. Yes there pricey but they just last wether in a hot or cool cases. It seems that if you don't have fans on a Seagate there going to die sooner or later as I've read here. Of corse look at how much your paying for them, there very low priced. I'm not bashing Seagate, but I can only go with the "facts".

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Spend more get more, spend less get less. Theres always a rule to the exception. I personily have never heard of a Raptor failure. Yes there pricey but they just last wether in a hot or cool cases. It seems that if you don't have fans on a Seagate there going to die sooner or later as I've read here. Of corse look at how much your paying for them, there very low priced. I'm not bashing Seagate, but I can only go with the "facts".

Just wait, and you'll see Raptor failures. They've not been out long enough to see a lot of failures from them.

All the drives (not a lot, but maybe 10 or so) I've had in the past 10 years at home have been Seagate, and I have no failures yet. So, your facts seem to be slanted in one direction. If you were to take all of the data from all Seagate products across the globe, (and from other manufacturers as well), I'm sure you will see something different.

I think you should look at particular models of Seagate and compare. Each model has a list of operating specifications, and they can vary widely. So you cannot make a blanket statement about one manufacturer based solely on your perception of one model.

Maybe you should also throw a Raptor into a non-ventilated case to see how long that lasts as well. Most folks who are buying Raptors have the nicer cases where they are building them for performance, which usually means more air flow and cooler temps. That could, in effect, lower their failure rate. Actually, take any drive and don't give it much circulation. I bet a Raptor would die sooner or later without circulation too.

We have around 250-300 disk drives (FC, SCSI, and SATA) in our server rooms, with half of those being > 5 years old and I've had 2 failures in the past 3 years. And guess what, they are all Seagate.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Please see my forum article in this thread.

I think Raptor drives have been out long enough (3 years or so) to get a feel for Raptor drive reliability.

I have a Fujitsu 9GB scsi drive that just hit 8 years of age. That I stopped using as an os drive when I retired my 98se box at the start of the year. It still runs linux like a champ.

I also have a very recent experience with Maxtor, where I had a drive fail, got it's RMA replacement, and that drive failed in the first month. It's replacement is working fine currently.

I used to buy IBM drives exclusively, until the deathstar series came out.

I shifted to Seagate when they increased their warranty to Five years.

------------------------- Personal Musing -----------------------------------------
I wish the I could find a hard drive that was SATA interfaced and as reliable as Fujitsu's SCSI drives at a price that did not match SCSI drives.
When ever I buy a notebook hard drive I get a Fujitsu. They just seem to last longer.
-------------------------- Personal Musing ----------------------------------------

So get it cool, and keep it cool.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Just wait, and you'll see Raptor failures. They've not been out long enough to see a lot of failures from them.

Ok.... still waiting. I go by facts and experience and not hot air like some poeple seem to arive at. See when you work in a computer store (MicroCenter) for 5 years you tend know a little about computers! "I have had more returns on SeaGates than any other brand, often within one week to a few days." So lets get back on topic and stop attacking everyone post, you live a longer stress free life. Oh yeah I'm still waiting for a Raptor failure.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well, I don't think 3 years is long at all, in terms of hard drive statistics. Even the worst drive I ever had (a 405MB WD Caviar) lasted longer than 3 years, and many folks had issues with that. Many drives will last way into the 5 year range, so comparatively speaking, 3 years is still not cutting it.

As for cooling, I agree that drives need to be cool. I'm just saying that the statement "you must cool Seagate drives otherwise they'll die sooner or later" is wrong, as that's the case with any drive, regardless of mfr.

I have 42 Seagate 500 GB drives packed into a 4U enclosure with no problem at all. Honestly, there's only a couple of models I would avoid like the plague these days. They all seem to outlast the needs of the consumer.