Budget Build

dbecks

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I need your help, i need a new computer and i guess the cheapest way to get a ncie computer is to get it built. I know little about the equipment of computers and want to keep the build under $600 but fast enough so i can play games. Could u guys give me a build list that is cheap yet fast enough so i can play high powered games. So if you could just give me a rundown of everything i will need for this computer to run then i would be greatly appreciated. :D

I'd check stores like BestBuy or Circuit City, they have PCs made by Acer, HP or Dell. These PCs are not popular on enthusiast forums but they are great for people who aren't interested in opening the PC case and messing with the hardware. They're also excellent value for the money if your budget is under $1000 or so.

Just make sure you get one with a dedicated video card. That is, avoid those with "onboard video" or "shared memory", those are really bad for games.
Or you could get one of those, making sure it has a free PCI-E slot, and add a video card later when you've saved $200 more.

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
aevm gave good advice. problem is though you could get suckered into buying a outdated pc that was hot shit a 1 year ago but its a pos now.

but if you assembled your own build with hardware and software that youve chosen you will be better off in the long run. even before you purchase anything you can learn fast about your hardware by reading user/site reviews and benchmarks. you will know your hardwares limitations and know what to expect performance wise. choose each piece of hardware carefully and seriously worry about every cent you invest.

research whatever people list here for you so that you wont have any regrets if something goes bad. dont just order hardware from a site straight away.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I need your help, i need a new computer and i guess the cheapest way to get a ncie computer is to get it built. I know little about the equipment of computers and want to keep the build under $600 but fast enough so i can play games. Could u guys give me a build list that is cheap yet fast enough so i can play high powered games. So if you could just give me a rundown of everything i will need for this computer to run then i would be greatly appreciated. :D

What components do you have? what parts can you reuse? For example, do you have OS, monitor, case, hd or optical drives.

I just need more info. Ok.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
$100 AMD X2 3600+ dual core OEM + tower cooler
$100 decent overclocking motherboard
$75 2gb DDR2 800 CAS 4
$50 Centurion or Rosewill 506 case
$30 Pioneer 112d DVD burner
$120 x1950pro graphics card
$80 FSP or Seasonic PSU
$60 250gb Seagate SATA drive

Add arctic silver, a few cables and shipping and you'll be at $650. Prices are from newegg.com This is still much better than an = priced Compaq or Dell and will play most games fine at 1024x768 and 1280x1024. The processor should easily overclock to 2.5ghz+

If you know where to look you can find a copy of XP.

OS = Operating System. Since you want to play games, that means Windows XP, not Vista. I was looking on eBay and saw some XP Home for $89; I think better may be possible.

Before suggesting anything specific in a build, we really need to know what, if any, parts you already have. A decent monitor alone can cost $200, so whether or not you have one already makes a big difference.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
We can likely assum the poster currently has a PC that is on its last legs.
Just use the same OS. No need to pirate.

Or he may even know somebody who is trashing an older PC.
XP is old enough now to be part of trashable PCs.

There is no rule against somebody giving you an old license.
Especially since they may not need it if their new PC comes with XP.