thespy007

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
These two cpus will about the same price come late july. For the next year which one would you guys choose to do mostly games and some video encoding. I will be overclocking and so far the first estimates is that the new E6x50 do great.

Dual cores usually overclock better than quads, and they do better in most games (at the same frequency). Quads do better at video encoding and in some games, and will most likely do better in future games.

We have a thread going right now, with a poll, and Q6600 got way more votes than E6850. I'm getting a quad too :p

jjknoll

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah, with the info coming out on the 6850 in regards to OC'ing I would say that it sounds a bit better. Some may say more cores are better and more "future proof", but games are still lagging a bit on dual core optimization and probably won't use four cores in a large number of titles for a good while. Besides the video card will be the drawback in most systems with either of cpus. I know it would help your editing possibly with a quad but I still say the 6850, considering you want it primarily for gaming.