Blue error screen

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I had my local cablevision (monopoly) hook up the cable modem, tv, and phone. After everything was running I get a blue error screen since the modem was hooked up into my computer. The error at the bottom says 0x00000024. does anyone know this code? I was having mior trouble weeks ago concerning my mem sticks. I increased the voltage from 1.8v to 1.9v (I had ddr2-533 1.8v sticks, now I have ddr2-675 1.9v sticks). The error blue screen would show up at different times, different momements and no pattern. It said that windows had to shut down because of an error. On the bottom it said tha it completed a memory dump and something saying that if I loaded new software or loaded new equipment this could be the error. Im thinking the cable modem is causing the issue. Anyone seen this before, heard of it?

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Mikeny,

How did he connect the cable modem? Did he just plug it into an existing Ethernet RJ-45 on the back of your mobo, plug it into a USB port, or did he have to disassemble your computer to add a network card? Or something else? It seems unlikely that merely connecting a cable modem would cause a BSoD. Now, if you have problems with your network software and settings, that's another situation altogether. But first, you mentioned you had RAM problems. . . I wouldn't chase anything else until the RAM problem is conclusively solved.

Have you run memtest86 on your system? If not, download a copy (free from many sources) and run it. It's a self-contained memory test program (it doesn't need an external OS to run). I recently had strange BSoDs on my wife's computer, and surely enough, it failed memtest86. All I had to do was to reseat the RAM modules and it worked fine.

I'd let memtest run for several hours (or even overnight). If your system passes this, at least you know you most likely don't have RAM problems. If your system doesn't pass memtest86, try removing and reseating the RAM DIMMs. If you have two, remove one and swap them out to see if the problems track with a bad DIMM.

Then, if you really want to make sure your system is stable, run prime95 for a day or so.

Regards,

Altazi

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
After googling the error code it came up with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228888

Seems to indicate harddrive errors. It could be corrupt data that surfaced after installing new drivers (for the modem?) that was previously corrupted by your memory. Make sure that memory is functioning as previous poster suggested before attempting to fix drive issues to prevent further corruption of data.

GL.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
It happened a few minutes ago and it said something about IRQ. Can I go to download.com and type in the search box for memtest86?

The cablevision guy plugged it in from the cable modem to the eathernet port in my computer. I never had any blue screen errors before the modem was hooked up. I will download memtest and run it tomorrow after work. I'll let you know if it passes or fails...thanx.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Good plan. If the RAM isn't working properly, pretty much all bets are off for any kind of stable operation. Get the system stable and see what shakes out. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Regards,

Altazi

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
When you get this all straightened out, or maybe better before hand, get yourself a Linksys 4 port gateway router. They are cheap, and you should have a firewall with network address translation anyway, especially on cable.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Of course, it's best to download memtest86 and copy to floppy or burn iso to CD on another computer! There's not much point in doing something like this on a computer that isn't stable. If you don't have one, see if a local friend can help you out.

Regards,

Altazi

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Ive been on my computer for a little over an hour and hasnt gone blue on me. I have a DVD burner can I burn it onto a CD?
<download files to desktop, then click and drag the folder ehich needs to be unzipped to the DVD?> Can I put the memtest files on a flash drive?

Im thinking of also taking out the mem sticks and putting my ddr2-533 sticks (1GB total) back in. Would my system suffer any speed with the less ram if I do take them out. I heard the ddr2-533 sticks optimize the Core2Duo's bus speed. This is only a gaming system (along with surfing the net).

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Mikeny,

The memtest86 program needs to boot the computer, so it must be located on media that can go into a bootable drive. Normally, this is a floppy disk or a CR-ROM. I'm not sure about booting from a USB flash drive - it's certainly nothing I have in any of my computers.

If you burn the memtest86 iso to the CD-ROM, do it in a way that will create an exact copy of the iso file. The iso is an image of the CD-ROM, and must be burned exactly that way in order for the program to boot. Of course, you need to have your DVD/CD-ROM drive selected as bootable in the BIOS.

Have you checked RAM compatibility for your mobo? You should be able to find an AVL (Approved Vendor List) from your mobo manufacturer's website. If you are not using approved RAM, you could get into trouble - especially if you start dinking with the voltage & timings. I'd start conservative, and change things slowly. That way, if your system goes unstable, you can just undo the last change and get back to stability.

IMO, it doesn't matter how fast a system is if it's not stable.

Regards,

Altazi

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hiya. Yes, when I went to increase my RAM and go to ddr2-675, I called Gigabyte to make sure it was ok. They said the DS3 supports ddr2-675 and corsair.

I haven't touched the RAM's timings. I only moved the voltage from 1.8v to 1.9v which was recommended for these sticks. The problems were happening before and after the change in voltage.

I was on the internet the other day typing in the error codes and it seems like driver issues. Last night I downloaded the video and sound drivers which had recent updates. I also took off 3rd party toolbars on IE 7 which was apparently causing error messages also.

I'm going to burn the iso on cd later. I'll let you know tomorrow if anything was found during the tests. Thanx :)

1. Run Memtest from a BOOT CD. If it fails u got a bad RAM stick.

2. If RAM is OK run a disk check for corruption. If it fails u got a bad HD, better back up and get a new one.

3. If every thing is ok, reinstall Windows. Back up first.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Ive been under the weather so I havent been able to run Memtest. Is this a safe bet that one or a few of the sticks might be bad? My finance was on my computer for an hr and she said it was freezing then it refused to boot up. I was taking out the wires and tightening them up. Again no boot. Then I took out my 4 sticks of ddr2-675 ram and replaced it wth 2 sticks of ddr2-533 (1GB total). It boots up and acts normal. Im guessing the ddr2-675 stick(s) are malfunctioning.