PLL for Intel DG965RY

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Funny! I saw this post and thought it was something I posted a couple weeks ago!
I had just ordered a C2D and sure as hell wanted to finally OC. According to a few, and I mean a few, I heard I could maybe just maybe get a bit of an overclock with the exact same board you have. The DG965RY.

Stable board though, right? I didn't have issues with it.
Anyhow, I too went and found my PLL. I did find it, and it happened to be right in the clockgen dropdown list!
I was excited as I was thinking I could get a mild overclock.
So I ran clockgen, and I actually got it to do a small OC! Maybe could of done a larger one but was just toying around and shut down my computer for the night thinking I would try to get a moderate OC the next day.
I did NOT save any of the OC settings and went back to normal before I shut down.

The next day I fired up my computer, started up clockgen, about 3 seconds later my entire screen froze up, everything froze. Thought it might of been a freak thing and restarted the computer again. This time I had mad artifacts completely cover my screen.
I thought my 7900gt OC had fried!
Tried a few more times just to get clockgen to start to where I could try an OC, and never could do it, those same freeze ups and artifacting still happened, even though my PLL was right in that dropdown list. And I would be surprised if your PLL was any different.

I quickly came to the sad realization that any kind of OC with this Intel board, however good and stable, was just not going to happen. Or if I could get it to happen, I wouldn't of felt comfortable with it after all those crashes and just knowing that this isn't an OC'ing board.
There really is no way around it.

Now maybe you could get clockgen to work with yours, I don't know. I'm just telling you what happened to me, and I'm telling you that many people told me not to even try to OC with that board.
Since its still a good solid board for the mainstream, and its still new, I figured I would sell mine and get a Gigabyte DS3. It was actually a few dollars less than I paid for the RY Intel board, but obviously is a highly recommended board here for budget overclocking.

Not only that, the capacitors on it put the Intel board to shame, so in some ways it may be just as stable as the Intel board even with a moderate OC. Don't know for sure, but I'm just going by looks and the success other people have had with it so far.

I wanted to tell you this rather than just tell you the PLL and maybe something worse or irreversible happens to your board. Again, clockgen may work, but even if it does there is other reasons to not feel comfortable with just pushing the FSB with clockgen.
The main thing being the extreme lack of bios options from the Intel board. I have since learned that for a stable OC you really want to have access to options that the Intel board has locked or doesn't have at all.

Having said that, if you still want to go ahead with clockgen, I can give you the PLL I found on my board as I'm sure its the same.
It starts with a C, maybe a CV followed by some numbers. In clockgen, I think there was only 2 that started with CV in the dropdown list, and I believe your PLL is the shorter of the two, but I'm not positive.
You'll find the chip near the PCI-e slot, if you have a graphics card it is probably covering the chip. Take the card out, get some good lighting, and you should see it.
It's actually below the PCI-e slot, closer to the brackets.

Anusha

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I found the PLL for this mobo. It's CV174CPAG. I found it from http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

I could overclock it a little using SetFSB, but I didn't feel it was worth it.

CelsoParis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Friends

I could overclock my E6400 from 2.13 GHZ each core to 2.5 GHZ each. I think it's a great improvement. I tested it for long periods both using TAT (thermal analysis tool from intel) and games.

Somehow I can't get MUCH more than that, does anyone know how to opmize the SETFSB so to get more speed with stability ?

Under "Current CPU frequency" what is the difference beetween MMT SLP and QPC ? Also, what is the point of the "ultra" check button ?

Thanks

Skazzi

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012

Yes. It doesn't worth it. I've written a few reasons in another thread ("Overclocking DG965SS, help.", in "Motherboards & Memory > Motherboards" Forum).

We were trying to overclock this board with a few C2D and C2Q processors, in all the cases there was approx. 300MHz FSB clock limit.

So, this small result with a very hot G965 northbridge and SetFSB issue/bug (no alternative for CV174CPAG) suggests that better way is to get a new board instead of spending time for mods and paying for buggy software.

Last edited: