Setting up a Q3 Server -

Anyone know how much setting up a full running server would cost? tah -

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

Baked

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:06:40 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
<merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Anyone know how much setting up a full running server would cost? tah -

On your own dsl or cable connection with an extra machine you have
laying around?

Free.

I run a q3 server on a 800MHz/256mb machine. If you are talking about
a hosted server I have no idea.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=quake+server+rental+&spell=1

> Find one close to you, check the price, and test the ping.

Damn - sorry you had to Google for it sittingduck - I should have thought of
that.

$40/month is not bad - at least for a while to try it out. Thanks -

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Miss Understanding wrote:

> Damn - sorry you had to Google for it sittingduck - I should have
> thought of that.
>
> $40/month is not bad - at least for a while to try it out. Thanks -

No sweat. :)
Here are a couple of sites that helped me a LOT setting up and running the
server:
http://www.3dgw.com/guides/q3a/
http://gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=7

"Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:06:40 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
> <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Anyone know how much setting up a full running server would cost? tah -
>
> On your own dsl or cable connection with an extra machine you have
> laying around?
>
> Free.
>
> I run a q3 server on a 800MHz/256mb machine. If you are talking about
> a hosted server I have no idea.

I didnt think I could run a server from my ADSL connection because of the
router - i read that there were some hassles setting it up.. so I was more
thinking of renting a server somewhere - throwing Quake3 on it (perhaps with
a mod) and letting people play on it. I think there could be demand for it
here in some parts of AUS - especially the far East where there isnt much.

Baked

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:05:08 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
<merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I didnt think I could run a server from my ADSL connection because of the
>router <snip>

Should cause no problems. You will have to forward port 27960 to the
machine where you are running the server. Don't run the dedicated
server on the same machine you play on, can be done but people will
get pissed quickly and leave (performance issues).

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:49:04 -0400, Baked wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:05:08 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
> <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I didnt think I could run a server from my ADSL connection because of the
>>router <snip>
>
> Should cause no problems. You will have to forward port 27960 to the
> machine where you are running the server. Don't run the dedicated server
> on the same machine you play on, can be done but people will get pissed
> quickly and leave (performance issues).

That is 27960 UDP if you need to select the type of connection. It's
better to specify UDP if possible as that will leave the TCP port
locked down.

--
Ian.

EOM

"Ian Hastie" <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:49:04 -0400, Baked wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:05:08 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
>> <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I didnt think I could run a server from my ADSL connection because of the
>>>router <snip>
>>
>> Should cause no problems. You will have to forward port 27960 to the
>> machine where you are running the server. Don't run the dedicated server
>> on the same machine you play on, can be done but people will get pissed
>> quickly and leave (performance issues).
>
> That is 27960 UDP if you need to select the type of connection. It's
> better to specify UDP if possible as that will leave the TCP port
> locked down.
>
> --
> Ian.
>
> EOM

I ran one from home via a router with no problems at all. Of course I had
768k/s upload speed. You need a lot of that. My next one will be hosted. It
was weird having people join with pings from 30s up to 400s and here I am
running around with a ping of 6. A lot of people owned me (pwned) but others
complained (I pwned). What's your upload bandwidth?

"OscartheGrouch" <Tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ian Hastie" <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:49:04 -0400, Baked wrote:

> >> Should cause no problems. You will have to forward port 27960 to the
> >> machine where you are running the server. Don't run the dedicated
server
> >> on the same machine you play on, can be done but people will get pissed
> >> quickly and leave (performance issues).
> >
> > That is 27960 UDP if you need to select the type of connection. It's
> > better to specify UDP if possible as that will leave the TCP port
> > locked down.
> >
> > --
> > Ian.
> >
> > EOM
> >

> I ran one from home via a router with no problems at all. Of course I had
> 768k/s upload speed. You need a lot of that. My next one will be hosted.
It
> was weird having people join with pings from 30s up to 400s and here I am
> running around with a ping of 6. A lot of people owned me (pwned) but
others
> complained (I pwned). What's your upload bandwidth?

I have a 1500/250 connection - so perhaps yet another reason to rent a
server somewhere.
I also like the idea of not having to worry about the server - leaving it to
technical support... heh.

This is the clearest indication of price that I have been able to find so
far online for here in AUS.

http://www.mcgoohq.com.au/gameservers/pricing/

CLASS A
Supported Games: Counter Strike / Condition Zero / Enemy Territory / Quake
3: Arena / Quake II / Soldier of Fortune 2 / Action Half-Life / Half-Life
Deathmatch / Team Fortress Classic
PrivatePlan Name Price ( per month ) Slots
MHQ 10A-P $60 10
MHQ 12A-P $70 12
MHQ 14A-P $95 14
MHQ 16A-P $120 16
MHQ 18A-P $145 18
PublicPlan Name Price ( per month ) Slots
MHQ 10A $120 10
MHQ 12A $140 12
MHQ 14A $160 14
MHQ 16A $180 16
MHQ 18A $200 18

Thats $120/month for a public server dedicated to Q3 with 10 player slots!
I like the game, but I would have to be 'dating with intent to marry' the
game for me to fork up this type of cash... :cool:

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Miss Understanding wrote:

> Thats $120/month for a public server dedicated to Q3 with 10 player slots!
> I like the game, but I would have to be 'dating with intent to marry' the
> game for me to fork up this type of cash... :cool:

wow, that IS pretty expensive.

Baked

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:19:44 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
<merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thats $120/month for a public server dedicated to Q3 with 10 player slots!
>I like the game, but I would have to be 'dating with intent to marry' the
>game for me to fork up this type of cash... :cool:

With your 250kbps upstream on your home connection you could possibly
support 4 players with the server rate set to 7000 or so.

"Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how much setting up a full running server would cost? tah -

> Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

This place looks pretty cool, starting at $20 per month for a 10 player
Quake server. I don't know much about them though.
http://www.clanservers.com/

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how much setting up a full running server would cost? tah -
> >

> > --
> >
> > Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.
> >

> This place looks pretty cool, starting at $20 per month for a 10 player
> Quake server. I don't know much about them though.
> http://www.clanservers.com/
>
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com

Thanks for that, unfortunately, I need something in Australia.... preferably
Adelaide. Those poor people have to connect to the other side of the island
for a Q3 server..... something must be done!

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.