Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Data Recovery after format/install

Last response: in Applications
June 30, 2011 4:26:25 AM

A friend of mine had a hard drive problem and a local computer store had to do a format and reinstall of windows. There were over a thousand photos on the drive that were lost. I'm not sure if it was a full or quick format.

Is there any affordable software that could recover some of these files if any are recoverable at all?

Thanks.

Best solution

June 30, 2011 3:52:07 PM

Recuva is a good one to try. Another victim of crappy PC techs. They should have warned him about the drive wipe and used a new hard-drive to do the setup.
June 30, 2011 9:14:37 PM

Will that work if a format has been performed? I don't see it mentioned but I found a similar program that says the file system must still be intact.
Score
Related resources
July 1, 2011 1:45:10 PM

gb2496 said:
Will that work if a format has been performed? I don't see it mentioned but I found a similar program that says the file system must still be intact.

Many of the undelete programs can handle formated disks. The issue comes from actually getting files that were not over-written by the re-install of Windows. The more a drive is used after a format the worse chance of recovery.
Score
July 11, 2011 12:59:33 AM

Best answer selected by gb2496.
Score
December 4, 2011 6:08:44 AM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
Score
December 4, 2011 6:09:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!