liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
The 3DMark06 program recognize my SATAII WD Caviar SE 160 Gb WD1600AAJS as a SCSI harddisk, why? I've read it on Gigabyte mainboard section that I need to install SATA hdd driver first prior to installing Win XP OS. I tried to make a back up driver copy from the mainboard's driver into disskette and press F6 during Win XP installation but Win XP was fail to read the driver from my Floppy Disk.

What should I do now? Anyone can help plz?

What difference does it make how 3D Mark 06 sees your HDD?

If you're up and running in Windows then obviously the drivers are properly installed or else you would still be trying to install the OP/SYS, and if its really a concern, and Windows is up and running you can install any drivers in Windows itself, you don't have to reinstall the OP/SYS to do it.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Sorry I forgot to write it on my first post that my Win XP detect my SATAII HDD as IDE interface HDD not SATA. :roll: What about that? I cannot update any HDD driver in Win XP using back up copy driver from mainboard's driver, also I can't find HDD driver from www.westerndigital.com. :roll:

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
IDE stands for independant device enumeration, it is used by both SATA (serial ATA) and PATA (parallel ATA) there is nothing wrong at all, you just got IDE confused with PATA

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Independant drive electronics, or intelligent drive electronics I believe... I have seen both, but both basically refer to the pcb having a bit more 'smarts' that was found previously on MFM and RLL interfaces.

Don't want to write a treatise, so I'll quit at that.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
IDE stands for independant device enumeration, it is used by both SATA (serial ATA) and PATA (parallel ATA) there is nothing wrong at all, you just got IDE confused with PATA

shit, wher'd i pull that from? :? thanks for the correction mate :) well, i knew he was still getting the 2 confused, lol

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
No argument.... However, it is often more helpful to wait until the OP comes back with a further problem / symptom.

Among ourselves we can have endless debates, esoteric even, but to a noobie, that is just too confusing.

Unless the OP comes back with a further question, I'd say problem solved.

Now to hijack this thread.... :lol:

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Actually I don’t mind how will Win XP read my HDD interface type, I’m just worry if my SATA HDD doesn’t run at 3Gb/s as my HDD can do so providing it has that capabilities since Win XP recognized it as IDE HDD interface type not SATAII.

But if you said that the IDE interface is used by both SATA (serial ATA) and PATA (parallel ATA) then I supposed there nothing I should worry about. A lot of thanks folks for all your help.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
lol, croc, i swear i had read it a that before, but meh, lol learn something new everyday. to OP, even if it was using PATA@ATA100 you'd still probably hit the drive bandwidth max.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
If somejoe7777 was involved, I'd just sit back. That guy knows much more than most. I've got time for him. (Aussie talk for I'd listen to what he's got to say)

Croc.