Sign in with
Your question

Blank Screen At Start Up

Last response: in Windows XP
November 13, 2009 2:33:40 PM

I have a 3 year old custom build computer. I just formated and reinstalled Windows XP Pro. My issue is after installing the drivers on the computer and it doing its updates I turned the computer on and it starts up fine all the way through the until it should show the sign on to accounts screen but instead i get a blank black screen. I try starting in safe mode but then my mouse and keyboard don't work. I used a driver detective to locate drivers for me cause I couldn't find my driver disks so I'm wondering if I should start over, format my hard drives again and go from there or is there an easy fix?

More about : blank screen start

November 13, 2009 2:45:47 PM

Format again is the most easy way, maybe you can find the problem, but this could be take too much time.
November 13, 2009 5:37:03 PM

Quote:
I used a driver detective to locate drivers for me cause I couldn't find my driver disks so I'm wondering if I should start over, format my hard drives again and go from there or is there an easy fix?

This is the likely problem and the reason for the system crash. These driver finders are loaded with junk. The MB or system if prebuilt will have an online product page with links to all the lastest MB and system drivers. In addition, the chip makers such as chipset, ethernet, sound, etc. will have drivers available for the MB on their websites. Reinstall and do not use the 'detective' this time. If you do not know which MB/chipset you have download CPUZ and click the MB tab.
Related resources
November 15, 2009 8:43:19 PM

Thanks I'll try that
!