splatcattoo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hello,

I have a 16gb SanDisk Cruzer. When I plug it in a USB Port, I can't figure out how to save photos to it. I have Vista Ultimate and when I go to try to save photos to it, nothing happens. It keeps telling me to insert a disk. I know this probably sounds stupid, but I'm brand new to this and really need to start using it for photos. Or, maybe this isn't the best disk to use? Thanks for any help. It shouldn't be this hard either!

Solution
Hi Splatcattoo,

When you say you 'try to save photos to it and nothing happens' can you be more specific? Are these photos which are already stored on your computer or are you trying to copy them straight from your camera? Also, when you plug the stick in, does it appear in my computer?

Chris

chris007

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Hi Splatcattoo,

When you say you 'try to save photos to it and nothing happens' can you be more specific? Are these photos which are already stored on your computer or are you trying to copy them straight from your camera? Also, when you plug the stick in, does it appear in my computer?

Chris

Solution

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Saving photos from your camera directly to a usb stick is not a good idea. It's best to save them to the pc, then copy them to your usb stick and burn them to a cd/dvd for permament storage.
While usb sticks are a handy way to carry then around to view or show to friends, these can fail or get lost.
CD/DVD's cost only cents each and are much more reliable.
Most camera's come with a usb lead and software to download onto your pc into the Pictures folder.

splatcattoo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Hi Chris,

I save the photos to my computer first, then try to save them to the stick from the file in "My Pictures". I create a new file every time I take pictures.
I do burn them to DVD's for safe keeping tho.
I'm a back up photographer for the Garden Highlights team at Longwood Gardens and need to be able to save them to the stick to upload them at Longwood. This is their preference. To just bring the stick and put it in the USB port on their computer.
No, it doesn't seem to appear in my computer when I put it in. There is an icon for Memory Stick (I:) but when I plug it into a USB, nothing happens that I can see or hear.

You know what? I just figured it out! There are several USB ports on the front of my PC. I'd tried putting it in all of them and nothing worked. Now, I just put it in the one I used to put my card reader in again and all of a sudden it worked! I dragged a picture over to it to test it and it worked!!! YEAH!

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Splatcattoo

splatcattoo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Thanks Jonmor68!

I do save the pictures to my computer and burn DVD's for safe keeping. Like I told Chris007, I need to be able to burn them to a stick for Longwood. You're right. DVD's are cheap and are safer.
Thanks for your help!!

Splatcattoo