Sign in with
Your question

Need some help. Power supply or motherboard?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 26, 2007 3:04:42 PM

So I assembled my new PC. Everything went fairly smoothly I guess considering I'd never built one before.

Anyway... I hooked everything up... double checked all the connections.

Plugged in the power supply... hit the switch on the power supply... the light on the motherboard never went on. Obviously the system wouldn't even turn on. Here are the parts I purchased from Directcanada.com

OCZ GameXStream 700W power supply
Asus P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard
Antec P182 case
Intel C2Q Q6600
2x Team Xtreem Dark Series PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12
BFG GeForce 8800GTX OC 600MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

More about : power supply motherboard

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2007 3:17:40 PM

Double check the front panel case connections and make sure they're hooked up properly to the right M/B header connections according to your M/B manual, that can sometimes be a little confusing so double check it.
June 26, 2007 4:17:33 PM

Would that actually explain why the motherboard LED doesn't even light up? It's like the MB isn't getting power at all. I wouldn't think the front panel connectors would have anything to do with that, but the members on these forumz certainly know more than I do.

Tonight I will try a "bare-bones" build and see if that works.
Related resources
June 26, 2007 5:20:44 PM

You DID use standoffs to support motherboard :?:

Mike.
June 26, 2007 6:50:01 PM

Quote:
You DID use standoffs to support motherboard :?:

Mike.

Use what?

j/k of course I did. 8)
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2007 7:38:38 PM

Sounds like either PSU or MOBO is totally DOA. As suggested, check PSU for sure. But you can do a quick and dirty check of the PSU without a PSU tester - take the power supply out of the case and jump one green with any of the black wires and turn on the power supply. It should start up and spin. If this works I'd say RMA that MOBO.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2007 10:13:37 AM

Whats your status?

Still dead or up and running?
June 27, 2007 3:18:47 PM

I hooked up another power supply to the mobo and all the lights on the mobo came on.

Safe to say the power supply was DOA.

I am now in the process of RMA'ing it back to directcanada.com.

Here's the process:

I pay to send it back to them.

They credit/debit (whatever it is) my credit card.

Then I have to reorder another one which requires another credit card transaction and they send it to me with free shipping. So in the end... I should get a working power supply, but I'm out a little more money 'cause I had to ship their defective part back to them. I have a talk to them about that part of it. :D 

I wonder how this is going to affect the MIR the power supply had when I originally ordered it.
June 27, 2007 4:13:24 PM

I'm sure you knew this but there is also a power switch on the back of the PSU. You turned that on as well, right?

Just mentioning, once I had a panic attack when after reassembling there was no juice. Forgot to flip the switch.
June 27, 2007 4:15:38 PM

lol... panic can set in pretty quickly huh?

But yeah... the switch was tried in both positions just to be certain.

Thanks for caring enough to post though.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2007 9:14:44 PM

Quote:
I wonder how this is going to affect the MIR the power supply had when I originally ordered it.

Make sure you keep your records on the RMA, shipping, time lost Etc. so you can prove it if you have to, hopefully once you get the P/S back you'll have no other problems. :wink:
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2007 9:17:06 PM

Well at least you remembered to plug the power cord into the wall socket. :lol: 
June 28, 2007 12:38:12 AM

<slaps forehead>

The second P/S was plugged in, maybe the OCZ one wasn't!!!

:lol: 

That would be a monumental blunder if it were true. To late now anyway... the P/S is at the post office ready to be sent back.

Brad at directcanada.com has been extremely helpful and apparently is overnighting a new one with no shipping charges.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2007 1:50:16 AM

Cool Man :lol: 
!