A New Build: Non-sequitur Contained Herein

Masterfulchuck

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I know it's probably not "good" for one's first post to be a system build advice thread, but I don't think I'm the first. Not that that makes it more acceptable. Sorry. Regardlessly, let me thank all of you in advance for your time, and warn you that my decision to use AMD parts in this system is not justified by logic or reasonable decision making skills. I just like them more, and not for any reason at all. Also, I want to put upgrade this system. I want a Phenom. Is it known whether or not Phenom will run in the AM2 socket with DDR2? If it isn't I might give in and go Intel. But I don't want to do that. :(

When it comes to computers, I do a little of everything. I have way too much time to sit in front of these things, and so I like to diversify my interests. I'll code, do graphics, or do work, but when it comes to what I love doing, I'll play games and produce music. One of the primary functions of this computer will be digital audio production/engineering. With these particulars in mind, I present to you my (maybe?) future system for your perusal and critique:

PSU: COOLMAX CUG-700B ATX 12V( V.2.2) 700W Power Supply

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz

Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

HDs:
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video Card: Sapphire HD 2900XT

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

About this sounds card: I chose it because I know Creative and this setup offers an Audio Interface that seems to be quality based on customer reviews and is much cheaper than pro audio solutions. Mostly I will be running a mixer into this thing. If you know of a better solution, I would love to hear about it.

Ubuntu Studio
Vist Ultimate 64bit

Guess that about wraps it up. What do you think?