Need cable to connect PCIe card to PCIe Mobo slot

precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I'm trying to create a very flat case, so instead of putting my ATI 1800 16x PCIe card directly into the mobo, I want to connect it by a cable and lay it flat next to the mobo. The problem is I have searched and searched and cannot find such a cable to be in existence. It seems like a fairly easy cable to make, just the male/female ends of the PCIe connections. Anybody know if/where I can get one of these? Thanks!

precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
After I read Kbits post I actually found this.
This is not exactly what I had in mind (I was trying to make a small cpu fan the highest thing on the board) but it might work. Thanks for the help (and if anyone wants to solder me a cable, let me know :) ).

PS chunkymonster: Congratz on the thousandth post.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
A riser card is probably all you will find that will work reasonably well.

a cable type solution will have all kinds of issues like crosstalk, signal degradation, and the like.

After I read Kbits post I actually found this.

That looks to me like something that solders directly to a circuit board, not that fits into a PCIE slot. I think you'll need the riser.

Why does this remind me of requests for a left-handed smoke-shifter?
(you know, the thing Boy Scouts use to divert campfire smoke out of their faces)

precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Yeah, I'm probably not dedicated enough to solder a new input slot. The cable thing didn't seem so outrageous as a mystical smoke changing thingembob. And I haven't hunted snipe for ages.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Basically you want a cable made up so that the card can lie completely separately next to the board?

You are talking about at least a 15cm cable length, and twisting said cable....

PCIe isn't designed for an extra 15cm trace length, let alone the reflections and interference caused by twisting the cable or laying it back on itself...

The PCIe SIG has designed connectors and cables for external mounting, but no current PCIe controllers support the different voltage levels etc these allow for in order to cope with this.