Question on memory speed reports in cpu-z and compatibility

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
with memory rated for 667mhz

Do I want to keep the cpu-z timing under 667, or under 334, when dealing with an AMD 3600+ x2 and a biostar tf7025 motherboard?

If I overclock the CPU to run at 250x9.5, it ups the memory speed to around 397 or so (don't have it overclocked, and didn't write it down, sorry). Its kingston-5300 memory, and ran fine at this while I tested prime-95 for 15 minutes, but didn't want to fry the memory until I got better information.

If I need to keep it under 334, then I'd want to bump the memory divider up from 6 to 7 (speed versus memory divider in cpu-z)

or can I safely reduce the multiplier even at stock speed of 1.9ghz, so that the memory is running at 633 or speed/3?

I am running the memory in both the right spots to enable the dual channel aspect.

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I'm pretty sure that I'm running mine on ddr2-667 right now with absolutely no problems :p

As far as overclocking, yes I probably did limit myself, as I do think the # cpu-z shows doubled is the max speed your memory can comfortably support.

But I don't think that ddr-800 is mandatory for am2. AFAIK, the memory speed is pretty independant from CPU speed, as there is no front side bus.

I might be wrong though